One thing about Politics I think we can all agree upon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Sep 23, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Regardless if you support Trump, or not. One good thing that I think both sides can agree with is that the 2016 election has gotten a lot more people to start voting in our local, state and federal elections, when normally they wouldn't participate.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

More so than that, it mobilized more people in more demographics than simply white men. Women and minorities are intently mobilized, and offices are going to be so brutally fought for, this will make 2008 seem like nothing.

A woman's wave is coming; I'd definitely count on that.

BL.

3. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

It remains to be seen as to what the voting numbers will be in the upcoming general election. One thing, though. Your basic premise is flawed. There are more than 2 sides in the political arena, even when there are only candidates from the Reps or Dems on the ballot. That kind of binary thinking and acceptance is why we are as screwed up as we currently are.

4. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it's so hard to give u a thumbs up and I wanna give u a thumbs up, because you're right there at the edge of the line of being neutral.

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

When we've left with bad choices, does it really matter if more people are voting?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

One of the things I am most surprised about in local politics is how bad many of the old councillors are. Some of them are shocking.

So I think actually it is improving.

7. VulchR, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yes. It is always a matter of degree. And: use it or lose it.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Will it really though. Every election is presented as the most divisive or urgent. Every time they say the people are motivated to come out and vote.

The statistics I could find show that there is really very little change in turnout percentages over time. Obviously, the number of people voting will increase as the number of eligible voters increases.

Probably because most voters in showing up for a national election have no idea who these people are.

- If things seem fine in their area and it is a non-political office. They'll probably just vote incumbent. If not the opponent. If there is more than one opponent, the incumbent has a distinct advantage.

- If it is a political office. Then probably just whoever is on their preferred team. No matter how bad or incompetent they may be. It is their team and they know nothing about the person.

- If a non-political office and there is no incumbent (ie Party Affiliation missing) probably just random based on their name, a nonsense write-in or some other random criteria.

- Everyone learned in school. If there are multiple choice question. If you don't know the answers. You give an answer and select something. Odds are you'll get some of them right.

Most people don't care about local politics that much. As evidenced by low turnout at local or state only votes. This probably has a lot to do with the media and internet. There is a lot of focus on national not local politics. Which is profit driven. Unless it is something extraordinary. No one in Florida, for instance, gives a rip about what is going on in Idaho. So, why would a major news agency waste resources on it? Since search algorithms and news feeds and driven by views/clicks. The big national news sources are going to crowd out the local sources.

How will you care about local politics if you never hear anything about it?

A lot of that has to do with technology and efficiency. News had a heavy focus on local politics because that is what was readily available. They'd add the important national stuff they got over the wire. But it was a local staff, local owner and local editor. So, you got local news. Since local news is what your read about. You cared about local politics. Many people also subscribed to their nearby big city paper which covered national news but still pretty much everyone got a local paper.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Local stuff does matter to people though as @skunk points out below.

10. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I don't really have a local paper, there just isn't a lot of political news for Hoke County, NC. So I don't have the foggiest idea who is running or what they stand for.

I suppose I could take the time to find out, but I don't see matters as all that pressing, my taxes are low and the county dump and transfer stations don't charge, they're just happy if you don't toss your trash off the side of the road.

Roads could be better, but it's a poor county, without much in the way of industry, mostly just farming, so there just isn't a great deal of money to smooth the pavement. It's still tons better than a lot of city roads up north.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So, the one thing we can absolutely agree on is that we cannot agree on anything.

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's like herding cats.;)

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

...in a field of mice using dogs while riding horseback.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, it looks like most of newsrooms are based in Fayetteville and there's only one non-profit newsroom, the North Carolina Health News, which just got a news-match grant.

That said, North Carolina is one of many states that have been robbed of local news through a combination of bad business models and rapacious investment firms that pillage newspapers for profits and then abandoned the hollowed-out husk for the next victim.

Around 40 of the state's 185 papers are owned by some investment firm and that coupled with cuts at Gannett and Lee Enterprises, tend to mean the death of local news.

15. LizKat, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It's a lingering death for some papers in upstate NY too, but it's happening all the same I guess. The local daily paper in Oneonta used to be part of the Ottoway chain which was eventually dealt to CNHI, to my dismay although I'm still a subscriber. I note with unhappiness that it has shrunk down to 16, sometimes 12 pages, and started relying upon a "contributing writer" for a fair amount of stuff. Waiting to see if that turns into a staff position. Not holding my breath.

The four-county mostly rural coverage area with several large university towns and two small cities is huge, and the few reporters they have are already chasing their tails, since the publisher finally took one guy from here and put him up in Albany to keep an eye on state shenanigans and his stuff goes to a couple of the CNHI papers in upstate NY.

There's no way we're getting the local coverage we used to get here unless we also read township weeklies, of which there are still a few. Sooner or later if we want local news in print though, we will have to become ink stained wretches ourselves.

It's beyond sad, because often enough when a print paper dies, its former readers don't or cannot migrate to an online provider of local news, so for them then it's either "local" TV or a literal grapevine of "whaddya hear?"

When there's no cat, the mice are definitely players and are eventually supplanted by grain rats. This is the kind of stuff the Fourth Estate was meant to prevent. Guess we have to re-learn it.