One thing that the iPhone (and iPad) does that no other phone can do...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tones2, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Low latency for input audio processing.

I'm making the switch from my iPhone 4S to Samsung GS3, but Androids audio latency is so poor that it's impossible to find any "guitar amp sim" apps or really anything that could be input as an audio signal and processed in real time. That's probably the ONLY thing I will really miss about the iPhone 4S.

However, this doesn't come close to offsetting the puny 3.5" screen, no microSD, no removable battery, nor a file system, all of which I'm getting with the SGS3. But I will still miss that feature - I hope Android gets their audio latency issue sorted out.

But the iPhone has seen better days. With only a 4" screen probably being relased in the next update (and just height with a change in aspect ratio), and still no micro-SD, I'd suspect is a slow decent from this point on unless Apple wakes up to the current trends.

2. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Say what?

I would keep my iPad for that kind of stuff anyway.

3. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

UHHHH ok. :eek:

4. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

From one musician to another heres an idea, try buying REAL gear instead of using your phone :rolleyes:

5. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry - corrected it to say 4S. :D

I use my iPhone often as a guitar amp simulator that I can plug into a PA and just bring a guitar and nothing else. The AmpKit and Line 6 amp sims are actually terrific. The iPad is too big to carry around for thiis - I would be defeating the purpose of not carrying anything else. The iPhone obviously fits in my pocket and I carry it anyway.

6. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I've tried all those guitar amp apps with my APOGEE JAM and honestly, after a couple days I never use them again. it's nice in a pinch when you want to record an idea or jam along with songs and have to quiet. I just never use them.

7. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You could use an ipod touch if you don't want to carry an iPhone. Otherwise if those android device features are not very important to you why not just keep using the 4S.

You gotta put your actual use first before choosing which path to take :)

8. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, of course I have real guitar gear. But it's HEAVY. If I'm just fooling around jamming with friends ad hoc, I can plug the iPhone into any amplifier source (stereo, boom box, etc) and I have a really good amp sim at reasobable volume. It's not AS good, yes, but it's fine for that purpose.

----------

Um...The 4.8" screen and the micro-SD card expansion on the SGS3 are HUGELY important to me. Way more than the guitar amp app that I am losing. That's why I'm switching.

I could carry an iPod touch but then again I still have my iPhone if I need it so no diference. I just hate carrying two devices on me, but now that I think of it I can just throw the iPhone in my guitar bag because it's light. So end of story, he he. :D

9. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Well think of it is this way, you have the flagships from two OSes. Instead of worrying about comparisons and "which one is ze bestest!!!" worries like the threads here, you can just enjoy whichever you feel like using at the time :) Win win.

10. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I know that. :) Still wish the good points were all in ONE single device though, but not a big deal really.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

Was the point of this thread just to bash the iPhone? The OP said what he was gonna say then just went on to list the iPhone's downfalls. What was the point?

12. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, I'm listing one thing that the iPhone does really well. :rolleyes: But to put it in context of why I'm saying it, it's because I switched and that's what I noticed that I missed. I just listed the REASON I switched because i knew I was going to get a bunch of "then don't switch" comments which is what I got anyway. :p

13. batting1000, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

batting1000 macrumors 604

Ok. You could've posted in one of the other 50 switching threads to save space for legitimate iPhone discussions. You don't need unless you're feeling insecure.

14. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not a switching thread. I'm pointing out one good often overlooked feature of the iphone. Jeez. :rolleyes: And I think it's someone else who might be feeling a little insecure. :) I'm totally good.

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

Oh, gotcha. :rolleyes:

16. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Calm down. It was a simple discussion about a feature he likes and uses the iPhone for. What's the problem?

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

I was merely stating how, while he is talking about the feature he liked (before he switched), he ends his thread by explaining the iPhone's downfalls and how Apple is in a slow descent, which was unnecessary when considering the threads title.