One very annoying flaw of the iPad (which only more RAM could fix I think)...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

2. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Images aren't loading in the entire page on iOS 4.2 b3.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Images loaded fine for me using iCab browser.

4. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

Many of those images don't load for me either, & I am using icab... The 1st time I opened it, I had a few other tabs open & it actually crashed icab, then the 2nd time it loaded most of the pics, the rest were blue boxes. But really, there are a lot of full size images there. Once it started loading, icab threw up a low memory warning. Both times. Sbsettings said I have around 100 mb free, so it should be ok. Maybe it's just the site.

5. AldoRay macrumors member

Right you are.

My Ipad wouldn't load all the pictures either. Not only that, Safari crashed twice whilst scrolling through the images, it hasn't done that before!

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Just tried the first link on my iPhone running 4.1. It seems to load about half the pictures. Since the iPhone has twice the RAM of the iPad, it doesn't seem that extra RAM will solve the problem... whatever the problem is.

Update: I tried it in Firefox (with NoScript engaged) and Safari on my MBP. It loaded fine in both case. So, it's not some script incompatibility, as NoScript would have prevented any scripts whatsoever from running. Could be RAM, I suppose-- the MBP has 8GB. But the iPhone 4 test demonstrates that doubling the iPad's RAM wouldn't fix the issue.

That's not a very mobile-friendly site, btw.

7. b.c. macrumors 6502

I've noticed the same thing in Safari on my iPad on sites with large photo galleries like the bigpicture. some galleries load fine, others don't - guess it depends on the total amount of data

for example, this gallery quits loading perhaps 2/3rd way through on the iPad. It's not the site because it loads fine on the Mac
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/10/the_xix_commonwealth_games.html

p.s. my iPhone 3GS also chokes on this particular gallery and other large ones too

8. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep, same is happening on the site yo posted. I don't think it's the sites themselves ("non mobile friendly"), it's the fact that the iPad apparently cant handle that much data.

9. lozpop macrumors 6502

These are pages with too many heavy images. And 256 MB RAM are too little.

10. dunk50 macrumors member

11. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

That's what I'm using and it did not open fine.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ditto. About half way down pictures stop displaying.

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

Interesting...

Wonder if the Virtual Memory Hack will fix this.

14. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

That's not the right way to write a modern web page.

15. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

What would be a better way? And please don't say thumbnails.

16. Moomba macrumors regular

Thumbnails is the correct answer. Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it less correct. Honestly, I didn't like having to load that page even on my MBP on DSL. Fact is, that page is roughly 19mb of data (47 photos with an average file size between 300-500k.) Just because you can put a bunch of photos on a page doesn't always mean you should. Ideally, you would create a thumbnail with a link to the full res photo. Given at 300-500k/ea the photos aren't "huge" but they are of appreciable size as to warrant further compression.

It's not that the web page is written incorrectly, but simply that the user posted a bunch of decent sized pics. But you are right in that it is a limitation. However, I personally don't believe it is something I would concern myself with. Yes, more RAM would likely help, but at least for me I don't find it "Very annoying" in the least. YMMV

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You're right. On mobile Safari I get blue dots about halfway through.

Just as a control point:

All those sites loaded and display just fine on a Droid Incredible, and the browser never goes over using about 80MB of memory.

The difference appears to be that the stock Android browser only tries to load the pictures that are visible. So you can see a tiny delay while scrolling fast.

Mobile Safari has smoother scrolling because it seems to preload all the images. Unfortunately, while a nice idea for smaller pages, it's useless in cases like this.

PS. Thanks for the links. Those pics are really nice in landscape mode.

18. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Thumbnails would work, or even better: a html5 Ajax slideshow. Either one is better, though. Not just for mobile devices with low ram, but there are still a lot of people out there on dialup and this would just be a horrible site to visit over dialup: it would take between half an hour to a whole hour to load.

19. slashcrashcup macrumors newbie

That took my PC a good 30 seconds to process all those pictures. You expect a Tablet to handle it as good or better. Dream on.

20. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I agree

21. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

Thumbnail gallery would make that post look a lot more professional than a group of overly large pics.

22. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

FWIW loads fine on iPod Touch 4 Safari.

23. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

2010 MBP, 17" i5, took 11 seconds.

Palm Pre Plus loaded it without any issue. Took it about 30 seconds.

iPod Touch 4G also loaded without any issue. Took about 15-17 seconds.

iPad loaded with no issue, took about 12 seconds.

I only tried the top link for what it's worth, but I had no issues loading that page with any of my devices. Didn't try my work phone as I'm sure its battery is dead.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what OS are you guys trying tihs on? ill give it a test on iOS4.2 later on tonight.

25. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

iPod Touch is running whatever the latest official release is. 4.1?

I refuse to update the iPad since Apple saw fit to screw up how the screen lock switch works.