One Way Sync of Work Exchange Calendar to iOS8 Calendar

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by xlr8or, Feb 8, 2015.

1. xlr8or macrumors member

Here's the situation. I have an Exchange calendar associated with my work email account. I work for a state government agency, which means that everything I do and have on my PC at work is subject to the Open Records Act in my state, so I keep my truly personal appointments on my iCloud calendar at home.

At home, I have an iCloud calendar associated with my Apple ID on my iPad Air. I would like to be able to do a one way sync of my work calendar (so I could read my work schedule on my iPad at home), but also such that my Exchange account at work would not be able to "see" my iCloud calendar at home. In other words, I would like my iOS Calendar app to view my work Exchange account, but not the other way around. This would need to be a "read only"-type access for my iOS calendar as I would not be sending appointments back and forth from my work Exchange calendar to my iCloud calendar.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. s1m macrumors 6502

Can you install the new outlook client on your iPad and sync via that?

I have my work email and calendar on my iPhone/iPad (not company provided) and my personal calendar is not replicated to my work computer.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

MS has a web page for this very situation:
    https://support.office.microsoft.co...994-9080-751994b81c58&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I use this with workflow mechanism with some of my clients. You'll publish in Outlook, assuming you're using Outlook like all of my clients in the public agency world, and subscribe in the Mac/iOS Calendar apps. You'll need to coordinate with your IT staff for permissions/destinations - it's outlined in the MS web page. Keep in mind that subscriptions aren't polling the source nearly as often as a normal calendar server - sometimes the polling is around every 4 hours, and up to 24 hours so don't expect an "up-to-date" or JIT solution with the publish/subscribe mechanism as the slow polling is generally by design.

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

There shouldn't be anything special at all required to do this. Just add your Exchange calendar in Settings as you would any other calendar. Both will show up in Calendar and you can view appointments side by side, but the data is still being pulled from two separate sources. They only appear merged on your local device. iCloud data is not being synced to your exchange server, and exchange data is not being saved to iCloud. Unless I'm really missing something, what you want to do is the default, standard behavior of Calendars.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

This and making the iCloud calendar the default on the iPad. The OP would then have to go to extra effort to mistakenly add a personal event to the Exchange calendar.

6. xlr8or thread starter macrumors member

I tried adding the Exchange calendar with my login credentials and it didn't work. I input my login information and it says - Verifying - and brings me to another screen to input Server (optional), Domain (optional), Username (Required) and Password (Required). I put in my Username and Password and the login process stops. The resulting screen indicates that it is asking for the server. How would I find this information on my Outlook account at work?

Thanks!

7. TriBruin macrumors newbie

If you can access your mail via webmail, use the webmail address.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

The fun thing about exchange is it's actually a bunch of protocols depending on device and platform. For instance, Outlook on Windows uses the MAPI protocol, Outlook for Mac uses the EWS (Exchange Web Services) protocol, and Exchange on mobile generally uses the ActiveSync protocol (although sometimes also EWS if developers don't want to pay for an ActiveSync license)

All these protocols can have different addresses to access the same server. This means you often can't copy settings between clients. In theory, if you supply a valid email and password, it will load a standardized address on that domain that contains the relevant settings (Autodiscover) in my experience, companies frequently fail to configure Autodiscover properly and it is frequently necessary to set things up manually.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Or his company just doesn't publish ActiveSync on the Internet.

10. Coupz macrumors regular

Its not always failing to configure auto discover. Our clients don't want to have autodiscover activated, so that their employees don't activate devices that weren't configured from the IT department (us).

Not everything is how it looks or seems.

11. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

That's essentially security through obscurity, and not really a good practice. There are proper ways to do this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/11/15/3411539.aspx

12. xlr8or thread starter macrumors member

I was able to add my Domain name to my Username and Password and got it to work. Thanks for all the suggestions!