(one year old) iMac 3.06Ghz for 1400€, worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akoj, Sep 7, 2009.

1. akoj macrumors newbie

Hi.

I recently grew tired of the PC world since my Vista crashed and I've been looking at Mac's since then. Anyway long story short, I found this at an auction site: 24", 3,06Ghz, 4Gb, 500Gb, 8800GS for 1400€. It's one year old.

Is this a good deal, decent price level? Could I get more bang for my buck by waiting for the Apple Media Event coming up this fall (and hoping for new models). Are there any risks with old macs? What should I look out for if I go and look at it? Just looking to get some 2nd opinions and advice since it's quite a lot of money for me.

Thanks!

2. akoj thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohyeah, PC's usually get a little slower after some time and installing everything again usually regains some of the lost speed. Does this happen with Mac's? Does it help to reinstall everything?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Before you buy, go to the Apple Store website (www.apple.com/store), go to the refurbished section, and check out what they have there. These computers come with the full one year Apple warranty and are like new.

With your one year old used Mac, you don't get warranty and there is the risk that the seller wants to get rid of a computer that he isn't happy with.

4. Blair230 macrumors regular

I would also second the other poster to check the refurb section first. Having said that, the price is nice for that machine! Macs usually dont slow down like PCs as they are not as susceptible to spyware/adware etc.

I have the same model (the only difference is I have the 2.8 ghz) and LOVE IT. I would inquire to the seller to see if it was still eligible for applecare extended warranty, but if you didn't see anything in the refurb store I'd go for it.

Don't wait for the Apple event next week. They probably are not going to refresh computers then (only ipods) and you don't want to lose out on a good deal.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

Wel its an awesome machine, but as many have said above, check the refurb section on the apple store [​IMG] the warranty is much more 'comforting' but that computer is MINT and the price isn't too bad... A reformat would be wise and would possibly speed up the mac but not as much as what reformatting a windows computer does

6. kc2kth macrumors member

I always buy from the refurb site

Check the refurb site as others have said, and check it often. Items there change daily, and the discounts vary as well. I've bought two laptops there in the past year and a half plus a few other items. Everything appears brand new - I would have no idea these were refurbs if I didn't buy them myself.

7. akoj thread starter macrumors newbie

The refurb site has the same model except with 2Gb ram for 1599$, or about 1115€. I'm not sure they ship to Finland from the US store though and then there's the Finnish tax authority to worry about.

So assuming the auction iMac is in good condition, it's worth the money. Guess I'll have to drive the 300km to have a look at it.

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

If I were you I would most likely look to buy from the refurb store. It might not be a bad price compared to the 3.06ghz model now, but I bought my 3.06ghz iMac for about £1200 brand new back in March. Also if you buy from Apple you have the added piece of mind that you are definitely getting what you have bought, along with a warranty. [​IMG]

9. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

€1400 is not a bad price. It's not great, but not bad. Since your only other option is to purchase a new system, I would say that it's probably your best course of action to buy the used one.

11. akoj thread starter macrumors newbie

Opening up a new box is fun and gives you a piece of mind, yes, but I feel like I get more future proofing with the used 3,06Ghz & 8800GS than if I were to pay 1300-1500 for a (worse) brand new one. I don't really play games that much but I don't want to rule out the possibility of doing so and I'm hoping to stick with this computer for 2-3 years so getting one that's hopelessly outdated before I even buy it would be kind of pointless. (refering to 9400M)

And I'm obviously going to get to look and test it out before I shell out the dough, if it looks pristine and works flawlessly then it's not like it's going to brake down the next day... or year..?

Thanks for the input guys, I'm leaning towards buying it. By the way, are system disks supposed to be included in iMacs? I mean, OSX comes pre-installed as far as I gather but do you get a separate disk with which you can format and reinstall the whole thing?

12. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Computers can break spontaneously at any time. That said, my experience is either of things breaking when they are very new or quite old. €1400 and no warranty makes me jittery. I guess it's my aversion to loss!

Yes, all new macs come with restore disks.