Online Order vs. Waiting in line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by e34guy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. e34guy macrumors member

As we all are looking forward to this Friday for the new 5S. A question comes to mind that yall might be able to help me with.

Why do people camp out the night before, if they can just order the phone online at 12AM of the 20th?

If I order the phone doesnt that guarantee that I will be able to walk into the Apple store and pick up the phone on the 20th without waiting in the line?

or, do online order's get shipped to your house?

2. allonwang macrumors newbie

If you order online, they won't allow you to go into the store to pick it up. You will have to stand outside in the heat like everybody else.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They seem to do things differently every so often. For the last few years they were shipping phones BEFORE the launch date. Most people were getting them delviered the morning of the launch, but some got them earlier. For whatever reason, Apple decided to not do this for the 5S (but they are for the 5C). In short, if you order the 5S online, you won't be getting it on launch day, since the earliest you can order it is the 20th (which is launch day). I don't believe they will (initially) allow for in store pickup. That is generally limited for items that they are easily able to keep in stock.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Also, wasn't the 5 not available for pickup in store until 2 months after launch?

5. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

Online orders will be shipped only. So you likely won't see the device until the following Monday.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am not sure how long it took. That's why I mentioned they only allow in store pickup on items they don't have supply issues with. This goes for all new laucnch products, including their iMacs. I know people were complaining when they changed the form factor of the iMacs and they weren't able to do in store pickup same day (although they would ship to store and allow pickup on those).

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes, just like the last 6 years when phones weren't delivered on launch day. Oh wait....

8. blerns3 macrumors 6502

2 weeks I believe. I got the 5 a few weeks after launch and the pickup option was around before I got it.

9. e34guy thread starter macrumors member

I understand. Thank you all for the help! Looks like I'll be camping out then.

10. allonwang macrumors newbie

I pass by the Apple store every morning. As of yesterday I didn't see anyone waiting outside the store.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not sure where you are going with this, but this year there is no possible way the 5S will be delivered on launch day because orders online START on launch day...

Attached Files:

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

What?

Oh cool. Guess that's good for those that can wait.

13. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

True, but usually those devices were pre-ordered. So Apple had the packages ready with the shipper holding them. If you order launch day this year, I doubt you will get same day delivery.