Only 12 test positive in Utah welfare drug screening

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We've already seen poor results on this elsewhere, FLorida for example. Like voter fraud, is this a solution looking for a problem?

It's worth pointing out that Utah narrows down welfare recipients using a written test and only those suspected of drug use are then tested. Those who test positive do not lose benefits but must enter a program. So they have what seems like a better thought out way of testing and still we get costly and ineffective results.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26559995&ni...re-drug-screening&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-11

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Read about this in my local news yesterday. I'm sick of my state making national news for being an embarrassment.

P-Worm

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hey, you're no Texas or Florida. :D

4. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Every time I see a thread with Texas mentioned here I cringe as it will most likely be something "bassackwards" and embarrassing.

I've been pointing this out to people how drug testing welfare recipients is a colossal waste of money. Good to see more sources for munitions, too bad it won't turn back time though.

Fraud seems to be becoming quite the rallying buzzword these days.

5. iMerik macrumors 6502

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Politicians suck. Let's demonize the poor instead of dealing with the real issues.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But at least the fiscally responsible party that pushed this through saved so much money... :rolleyes:

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Utah...Really?

I'd like to see the same test in NYC, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I might just put this quote in my signature.

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So what were the test questions? "Do you do drugs"?

Sounds like they probably found the dumbest people on drugs/welfare to me. Someone who has gamed the system their entire life is surely going to be able to skirt a written examination.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Plenty of people think illicit drug use IS a real issue, especially if their tax money is helping to fund it.

I'm fine with testing people, and cutting off their benefits if they test positive, but I haven't yet heard a good solution for determining whom to test. Testing everyone is prohibitively expensive, so is pre-screening.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

What kind of tests were they using to cost that much?

I used to work at a staffing agency that did most of the drug tests for candidates internally, and a 10 panel urine or oral/saliva test cost like $6-10 a pop.

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I think the better question is, is why do you think there's a large number of welfare recipients that are drug users?

Also, please provide a source to backup such claims, should you attempt to do so.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think an EVEN BETTER question is, where did I even hint at how many people I believe use drugs, regardless of their status as welfare recipients? :confused:

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Michigan instituted a random screening of welfare recipients (it was halted by a judge after only a few weeks). Their results are more believable:

I think 10% is outrageously high (ha!), but that's the ACLU for you.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yet apparently DoD has no problem with the State intruding unnecessarily into the lives of 90% of the people tested?

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

To a Libertarian rights are directly proportional to financial autonomy.

20. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

The problem is that drug testing should really be called cannabis testing, as other drugs leave your system much faster, than the arguably non-harmful drug weed.

Drug testing is just an industry like any other, so they play up 'positives' that they want there customers to believe in, but studies have continually shown that drug testing doesn't work, and is a waste of money.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Besides, the world would be a far more dangerous place without cannabis. This is a fact.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Unless of course your indicator of success is attracting the political vote of the sanctimonious who look down on the recipients of benefits.

23. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

$30,000 spent and 12 people denied. That almost definitely was less than would have been given to them had they not been caught.

25. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The Utah program does not deny benefits, instead they have to enroll in a substance abuse program. More money!