Only account on login is "other..." my account doesnt show up on login

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bakes331, Feb 22, 2009.

1. bakes331 macrumors newbie

I need some help with this, after my network admin gave me my own admin settings, i didn't turn my comp off for a good three days, then when i did, and turned it back on, it went to the login screen, I typed in my pass as usual and it rejected it (Gahh!) I typed all variations of my pass and username, thinking i may have changed em accidentaly, and nothing happened. So, quite annoyed, I booted of my leopard disk and went to the pass reset to reset my acc pass. then i rebooted and went back to where it displayed users. i saw that the only account that showed up was the Other... account. im pretty mad about this, as i would like to resume my computer adventures. haha. please help. thanks:eek:

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Did you change the name of your User home folder (in Finder) when you were changing your account settings, or just through System Preferences > Accounts ?

3. bakes331 thread starter macrumors newbie

He changed my account to the admin of the computer, and immidiatly after that, i changed my password to a new one. Do you think it could be a login keychain issue? I don't know how he changed it. sry:confused:

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

and if you type your username into the Other box, and then your password.. what happens then?

5. bakes331 thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing happens. and i can't log into the root account cuz i have it disabled

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I think you can enable the root account by giving it a password with the install disk password manager

7. bakes331 thread starter macrumors newbie

could you please run me through that? sorry im quite new to mac. your being very helpful thank you :D

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Same process as you did for your own password - boot off the Leopard disk and use password manager to set a password for root, then restart and try logging in as that.

Personally, i'd be going back to your network admin to sort it out - or are they actually a Windows network manager with a deep seated loathing of all things Mac? (i've met quite a few of them) ;)

9. TechAge macrumors newbie

From the statement you just mentioned, are you using Active Directory?

10. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Me? no. Have in the past, but not recently. Currently in a Linux server environment with a mixture of Mac and Windows workstations connecting with Samba

11. bakes331 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help, I went and gave my network Admin a little peice of my mind. He didn't know what the heck to do, (expected), so i just backed up my files from a friends external and reinstalled leopard. Im back up and running, even though it was painstaking and unescesary. :cool:

12. TechAge macrumors newbie

Ahh I see. Just checking. :)
    Cause it might have something to do with Active Directory he is currently having troubled with. That's just my 50 cent guess.