Only black Republican in the House announced he’s not seeking re-election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

That’s 6 Republican house members announcing they’re not seeking re-election this week. Ouch. This one really hurts. Hurd was one of the good ones and super smart too. And he was only 41. :(

2. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Like many in the GOP, he just can't take it anymore and doesn't want to be part of the game. I disagree with him but highly respect him as a straight shooter.

3. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I wish that if they are truly stepping down over anything to do with how the GOP is being run or anything related to Trump, that they would have the balls to stand up to it before bowing out.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yeah, it's difficult to commend if any republican congressman bails, without ever having raised any concerns while IN office. Otherwise it's more a case of Paul Ryan lackofspinenosis. Suddenly they will discover the need to share with the world the issues with the current administration, once they aren't tied to it.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

What are they supposed to do? Vote Democrat just to stand up to Trump? Honestly there’s very little they can do. Especially when GOP leadership has no stomach or intention of standing up to Trump (like on trade policies for instance).

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

Black?

Edit: Looked him up. His Twitter profile picture is heavily brightened up.

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Stand up, speak out, they don't have to vote left just to point out the obvious. If it comes out later that Trump was the reason to be done, than it just looks like they were cowering away. As is stands now, the Right has essentially given up on their core values for Trump.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

He's biracial

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Will Hurd did. So did Justin Amash. What good did it do?

10. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Hurd's heading off to "to solve problems at the nexus between technology and national security"?

Sounds like next thing we'll hear from Will Hurd might be a pitch to buy a whole new guaranteed kinda voting machine. The kind where we finally get somebody who knows how to drain a swamp. :D Where can we sign up?

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's like any situation like this, one or two voices is drowned out amongst the crowd but when it becomes majority of the crowd, that's when it starts to make a difference.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

For now, yes, depending on the issue.

Once the republicans flush themselves down the toilet he’ll be running the new centre right party.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I have some (limited) sympathy for decent Republicans. Especially House members.

It's one thing to say "stand up to Trump" - but if they do that, you can guarantee they'll get a primary challenge that will all-but certainly toss them out. And House members run for office every two years. So they are pretty much always running for office.

Thanks to gerrymandering, and the schism in cable news coverage, its no longer enough for a Republican to say he is "conservative". He's got to be ultraconservative. To the point of lunacy.

In whatever blank spots appear between running for office, they are constantly having to respond to journalists and constituents questions about President Trump's latest gaffe, blunder, or racist insult.

Republicans ought to remember Hemingway on how you go bankrupt: Slowly at first. Then all of a sudden.

The steady drip, drip, drip of Republican House members stepping away is the start of that process. When the sudden part comes is anyone's guess. It might take five years, it might take twenty. But it's coming.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't think that's the point. The point is integrity and having backbone. Not speaking up accomplishes nothing and makes you complicit and/or an enabler - or whatever words you want to use. One of the things that makes this country great is that one person CAN make a difference.

15. LordVic macrumors 603

you know whats shameful about all these GoPer's essentially quitting and quoting Trump as the reason.

they're currently in power to do something about it and are refusing to stand up. at least McCain when he was on his way out decided it was time to stand against this ****. these guys are just... ducking out and absolving themselves from responsibility.

if Turnip man is so bad that you need to run away in shame. At least save some face and do something about it. Otherwise they are nothing more than spineless cowards.

16. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

It's sad and unfortunate for the country and the (traditional) GOP but at this point I don't think it would make a damn bit of difference. The guy's base is in transmit mode only, and ready to primary him out, probably. And that's without his speaking his mind fully on his way out...

And... a stepping-back member of Congress does have to make a living after leaving office. "Spending more time with family" probably rides way better for a prospective job at some think tank or white shoe law firm than having that outfit's PR firm have to deal first off with public backlash from the critter's former voter base.

Consider that the Trumpistas today would be perfectly willing to trash the guy six ways from Sunday on social media if he bowed out with a slam against Trump, the GOP leadership or god forbid the ever-more-rightward electorate that he fears would have primaried him next time around.

This iteration of the Republican Party is doomed, it's just not happening all at once, as others have noted. One of these days a third party will say enough already, we're taking the banner back... even if they call themselves by some other name.

17. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

No. That’s being disingenuous.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2019 ---
    What do they have the power to do? Maybe they have the power on trade to stop Trump’s stupid tariffs. But other than that you just want them to become Democrats.

18. LordVic macrumors 603

i'm not sure how calling out someones behaviour suddenly makes them a democrat.

You don't consider yourself a democrat. but you regularly call out Trump for what he is. why is it so hard for republicans to do that? I give you a lot of credit for being able to stand up against your own party when they are behaving in such a way.

19. Rogifan, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Like I said Hurd has done that, so had Justin Amash. Where did it get them? Look I wish more would do it but Trump has such a lock on the party right now I’m not sure it would matter.

Btw, Nikki Haley tweeted this, this morning.

[​IMG]

I’m sure most on the left will sneer and say it’s not enough but again I ask what can she do? Trump’s die hard supporters already hate her.

20. LordVic macrumors 603

It wouldn't likely make a difference other than as a statement of opposition. by saying nothing, it's still tacitly supporting.

even though it's from a fictional source, here's a quote I think is appropriate.

"Goodness is not goodness that seeks advantage. Good is good in the final hour. In the deepest pit. Without hope. Without witness. Without reward. "

Sometimes, you need to do what is right, even if there is no reward for that.

21. hulugu, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I suspect that Hurd's campaign read the local tea and realized that while he was able to survive two electoral challenges, 2020 is going to be near impossible. So, he'd rather go work for Lock-mart or one of the other border security contracting firms and make some money than struggle through a brutal election.

I'd expect to see Hurd working with Jim Kelly or Jeh Johnson for a bit, and then he might try to run for president in 2024.

The bad news is that Hurd was one of the few Texas Republicans who didn't sound like an idiot when talking about border security—he's in a pretty good documentary about building a wall along the Rio Grande River, called "The River and the Wall—and Hurd was genuinely able to work with Democrats, including Beto O'Rourke.

This is further sign that all the adults are leaving the room during the Trump administration. You might have disagreed with someone like Haley, or Mattis, or Kelly, but you could at least respect them.

Now, the administration is increasingly full of hardliners like Cuccinelli, or dilettantes like Craft or DeVos.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'll give her credit for that. But Trump's Tweet really was a new low.

I had a lot of admiration for Nicki Haley. I give her credit for helping remove the Confederate Flag from her state Capitol, as well as for being an effective, forward-thinking Governor. She also pushed back against Trump's Muslim ban.

Which sorta begs the question why she took a position in Trump's Cabinet as UN Ambassador.

There are a lot of Republicans I could consider supporting. Except for the Orange Elephant in the White House, who seems to have caused most of them to use whatever decency and principles they had.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I will not vote for a single Republican in 2020. And, I might abuse them through 2024 for subjecting us to the vicious idiocy of our current affliction. They need to pay dearly for letting this idiocy come to bear in 2016, and for allowing it to continue.

I get the politics of it and that these guys want to protect their future careers—hence the Congressional equivalent of Irish Goodbyes—but come'on guys, put up a fight, talk some smack, tell the president to his face that he's wrong on the record.

Just slinking out the back, or pulling the loud handle is not enough.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't disagree with anything you write.

But I will say this: The United States needs a decent, sensible centre-right mainstream political party.

For much of my adult life I could count on establishment Republicans to fill that role. And Will Hurd was, by all accounts the personification of that ideal. A former CIA officer, he was also willing to work with Democrats. (He made a road trip to Washington DC with Beto O'Rourke.)

Yeah: The stain of Trumpism is going to linger long on the Republican Party. Longer, IMHO, than the crookedness of Nixon did.

But I'm unwilling to give up, totally, on Republicans. I'm not planning on voting for any of them in 2020 either. But long term, our country will need that voice.

25. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I really do think some took a position in the WH because they thought the could be a force for good and stop his worst impulses. And he mostly left Haley alone at the UN. But sometimes I think they’re hesitant to speak out because they don’t want to look like they’re bowing to liberal/media pressure.