Only in Florida - Stand Your Ground Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 4, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Certainly an interesting case of using SYG as a defense. At least she got to go to the Waffle House. :rolleyes:

It has also been reported that prosecutors argued that Wald, who suffered from erectile dysfunction, killed Conley in a jealous rage, pointing out that Wald used the word “fornicate” in reports to police, and never the word “rape.”

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This is why people sometimes confuse articles in The Onion with reality. Sometimes it is hard to tell the two apart.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is a really sad story, and I can't believe he got off with nothing. But this quote angered me the most: ""He is the kind of American who has made this country great."

I get this whole Rambo "shoot first and ask questions later" thing, but I don't see that as relevant in this case. Apparently the jury did.

Even weirder is the fact that his wife seems to be happy about it.

This whole situation is really effed up.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

How the hell? Are we missing some information here? Killed a guy only because he was having sex in his living room? Jealous because he has E.D?

It's not like he was attacked and shot out of self defense. This should make the Zimmerman defense a slam dunk in Florida.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

According to the article the argument of the defense was that it was dark and he thought that the guy he shot was raping his wife.

Something about the whole story just kinda smells. I get the rationale behind the stand your ground laws, but the use of it in Florida just seems to be over the top.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's the "traditional marriage" that all of the anti-equality bigots are trying to protect.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Must be something in the water down there, not sure I buy that. How dark was it that he was able to accomplish two well placed shots for an execution of that style?

EDIT: Early I only read the OP and not the article. Hmm Okay so he walked in on his wife cheating on him. Does seem like an insult to me, she could have done it at her "lovers" house or a hotel.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

In France, the shooter might get off on the crime passionel defense, which is approximately the same as "temporary insanity". Given the myriad ways available for avoiding punishment, can it be any wonder that criminal justice is such a failure?

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wasn't that defence withdrawn in France a few decades ago when the Napoleonic Code was updated? In English law there is a defence to murder called "loss of control", it is more general than just discovering infidelity, but has been used successfully in that situation before. However, and appropriately I think, it is only a partial-defence to murder - meaning where the defence is successful the defendant is not guilty of murder but automatically guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Never rub another man's rhubarb!
    --The Joker

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Exactly :D

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the lawyer basically just laid out a defense that said because a man has been insulted, he has the right to kill?

Is this the 1800's wild ****ing west or something?

What the hell has happened to human decency in this country?

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the wife is happy that he got off. I guess this means he really loves her.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you get caught banging someone's wife in their house...well...getting shot and killed should be the expected outcome.

Clearly the jury agreed.

As was quoted by others...

Never rub another man's rhubarb!
    --The Joker

Words to live by.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Sorry, but catching someone having an affair is not a valid reason to kill a person. Raping your wife? Sure, but simply because she is a cheater doesn't give you grounds to kill a person.

The jury members are idiots.

16. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

What the hell is wrong with you? He was authorized to be in the house (by the wife he was banging).

Do you live in the wild west or something?

17. Technarchy, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's a Pepsi challenge you probably don't want to take if your have working brain cells. It's a Darwin Award. If you get your kicks on another man's wife, be smarter, live longer.

I wouldn't run through bear country covered in bacon either.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I guess stoning them both to death would be ok too? Hope you never put your penis where it does not belong.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What if the guy didn't even know this chick was married? Just met her in a bar and went back to her place?

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If I put my penis where it doesn't belong I am not going to do it within a few feet from the man who is married to her. Have some common sense.

----------

He won't make that mistake again.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Of course he won't. He's dead. :rolleyes:

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I prefer you had no expectations about my genitalia in your mind at all.

And it's not a matter of "OK" or "not OK", you are an idiot if you bang another man's wife in his house because odds are if you get caught someone is going to get killed. Men tend to frown on other people touching their wife with extreme prejudice.

This is news to no one with a brain. Most people read Homer in high school so bad reactions to touching another man's wife is not a new concept, nor is sympathy for those who take action during jealous rages.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Is he an idiot? Yeah, if he knew the woman was married. The wife is an idiot for cheating.

Still doesn't mean it's ok to kill the guy.

It's disturbing to think people are ok with murdering a person who had an affair with their SO.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

25. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I don't think it's okay to go after a person "after the fact", but caught red handed. Have you ever had anyone cheat on you? Lucky for the my ex, I was out of the country when I found out.

----------

Sounds like a good aim. Two in the chest and one in the head is a general rule of thumb. The price of ammo these days he saved a bullet.