Only Mass Deportation Can Save America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rigby, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Rigby macrumors 601

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes get them kids out working can't have them eating for free. them old people too get them out working, the working poor get a better job. The stupid of this meme is amazing and really is just showing how ignorant people are about other people.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

4. Zenithal Suspended

The religion bit interested me. I'd say most in the US are not Catholics. The overwhelming majority of illegal Mexicans in the US are Catholic, otherwise known as the wrong Christianity. The remaining illegals are either agnostic or atheist to an extent, with the remaining few being of Jewish faith. Likewise, how Orthodox Christians believe the rest are heretics, and vice versa. Most Churches also don't care about the Pope and don't answer to him. I have my own views on the Catholic Church, but I tend to keep them to myself out of respect for members of the church.

That said, removing all illegals who work in agro will temporarily ruin the nation's GDP and efficiency until we can get people working in the fields. I sincerely doubt most Americans who are even in the worst financial shape, work in the fields or minimum wage. It isn't going to happen.

Indie or corporate farms and ranches aren't going to pay Mr. James Sexton $15/hr or more when they were paying Guadalupe Hernandez $6.75/hr, and sometimes still screeching by in the case of independent farmers and ranchers.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you sure they're facts?

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

Let me get some popcorn while I watch those who have read the entire opinion piece and understood the point, and those who have simply assumed they know the author's point...

7. jeyf macrumors 6502

does it matter if they are NOT facts

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Here lies the sole problem of the US of A :

>O.K., so I’m jesting about deporting “real Americans” en masse. (Who would take them in, anyway?)

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Reading is over-rated. I prefer my method of skimming and assuming. ;)

10. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

You are comparing human beings to wild animals.

Wild animals do not have a civilization. Most don't participate in a large-scale society with defined roles and/or jobs. They also don't have currencies, or an economic system.

Frankly, your post is both ignorant and insulting.

11. A.Goldberg, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Politics aside this article is pretty convoluted.

The current administration has strongly promoted deporting illegal immigrants. This article conflates immigrants and illegal immigrants. Unless the author uses statistics about illegal immigrants, this information isn't particularly helpful. Speaking in generalities, adult legal immigrants come to the US with education or are enrolled in college, adult illegal immigrants aren't usually so fortunate.

Don't assume my stance is anti-immigrant just because of my previous comments, its not. I just prefer to read relevant information. This argument might have been better tailored to condemning the travel ban and supporting refugee immigrants, not illegal immigrants (the people who are being deported the most). It's useful information in dispelling myths and stereotypes, but a little misleading given the context.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If the author of this article spins between illegal and legal immigration a few more times he'd be dizzier than a drunk on New year's Eve.

Republicans aren't against legal immigrants. Most Americans even support a path to citizenship for some illegals, notably the dreamers which as far as I can tell haven't been touched by Trump.

Now if you want to compare education stats between illegals and legals I'd say go ahead. This just shows the trash that comes out of the NY times today.

13. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I'm not ok with paying people poorly to what amounts to effectively better paid slave labor. Saying "if you get rid of the illegals who will pick the vegetables?!?" Is deplorable and disgusting.

14. Zwopple macrumors regular

Heh so many people in this thread did not read the linked article at all.

15. Zenithal Suspended

That's sad to hear. Because I'm more than fine paying minimum wage for something that requires almost no skill. If someone doesn't want to do it, then that's fine. There's always someone willing to work for money, even if it isn't much. They should be proud to even have a job as far as I'm concerned.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You mean this part?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017 ---
    Or this part?

17. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

So you support getting rid of the minimum wage?

18. Zenithal Suspended

I think you misread my original post. $6.75 was an example of the federal minimum wage. No farmer or ranch owner, indie or corporate, is going to pay more than double the current federal minimum wage (currently $7.25/hr), for a legal worker or one that isn't Hispanic. And that is under the presumption all their employees are illegal immigrants. The majority are likely legal. Having spoken to some farmers upstate who knowingly hired illegals in the past, they stated the average field migrant makes anywhere from $70-150 a day depending on what they're doing that day. The BLS doesn't differentiate between legal and illegal workers. Though the estimated weekly pay for an illegal migrant working the fields is around $580, up from the low 500s from a decade ago.

Do note I also said "Because I'm more than fine paying the minimum wage..." Picking fruit or scattering seeds or whatever these guys do isn't skilled labor. It's labor no one else wants to do. I welcome anyone who's down on their lucks to go work the fields. But don't expect to be paid more because there's less illegals in the fields. You're going to make the same per hour as the next legal immigrant.

$15/hr is a very, very entry level pay for an office intern.

19. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Just wait for the revenge....

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

People keep referring to immigrants as 'illegals' and if they are, then you can deport them. Most immigrants are not illegal though and mass deportation is not the answer especially if their children are US citizens.

21. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

K.

So if nobody wants to do the work, and if illegals are prevented from doing the work, what do you think happens to the wages?

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

They will rise to a point at which the positions will begin to be filled or cross over into a space where technology and automation begin to make more sense. His point however is valid in that labor rates are set based on value / demand crossed with availability of workers.

23. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Sure but it's not that simple. Since we have nations, and borders, wages are artificially high in first world countries.

So in America, paying a laborer $5/hour to pick grapes or something is a king's ransom in many other parts of the world, though I doubt the value of picking grapes is anywhere near $5/hour if you look at a global scale.

So on one hand, were over-paying for agricultural help. On the other, we are underpaying. I guess my larger point here is that illegal immigrants are being exploited to pay lower wages for their work, and if you remove them, then that argument of "well nobody would do the work" falls short, as people would want to do the work as the wage rises to what it would be worth in the United States. Same is probably true for construction and other similar jobs. Frankly, I don't want illegal immigrants in the United States, and I really don't want them here undercutting the wages of American workers. I'm a huge fan of legal immigrants, but they are being paid American wages in America. If you want to underpay people to pick grapes, move somewhere else. Don't underpay people then sit around and complain that people won't do back breaking work for not much money. You shouldn't get to have the security, and infrastructure that we enjoy here and then undercut that by paying lower wages so you can make more money. Don't like the business? Get out. Don't like our rules and laws? Follow them and try to change them if you desire, or get out.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is why I think we should do away with borders entirely and allow people to move wherever they want to live on earth. Keeping people from going where jobs are creates artificial markets that do weird things to supply and demand economics. If you are for free-market capitalism, then the logical conclusion is we should have open borders.