Only One AirPod Working? Here's How to Fix the Problem

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AirPods and AirPods 2 are designed to work seamlessly with all of Apple's Bluetooth-supporting devices, and nine times out of ten the wireless earbuds live up their billing, but that doesn't mean they work perfectly for everyone one hundred percent of the time.

[​IMG]

A particularly irritating problem that can sometimes occur is when one AirPod drops the connection intermittently or stops working altogether for no apparent reason. If you've been hit by this bug, following the steps below should help you resolve it.

1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Tap Bluetooth, and then tap the 'i' icon next to your AirPods in the list.
    3. Tap Forget this Device.
      [​IMG]

Ensure that both AirPods are in their charging case and that the case has charge.
    4. Locate the small button on the back of the case, near the bottom. It's flush with the case and the same color as it, so you might need to feel about for it.
    5. Open the charging case lid.
    6. Press and hold the button on the back of the case for at least 15 seconds. If you are using a first-generation (i.e. non-wireless) AirPods charging case, the case's internal light between the AirPods will flash white and then amber, indicating the AirPods have reset. If you are using AirPods 2 or a Wireless Charging Case, you can find this light on the front of the case.
    7. Now, close the lid of your AirPods case and then open it up again.
      [​IMG]

Hold the AirPods case with open lid next to your iPhone or iPad. Your iOS device should recognize the AirPods and you'll see a popup to connect them.
    If the above steps don't solve the problem, try resetting your iPhone's network settings. To do so, launch the Settings app and select General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings, then try re-pairing your AirPods by repeating the steps above.

Article Link: Only One AirPod Working? Here's How to Fix the Problem

2. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

What if both AirPods are working, but for about 50% of their advertised talk time due to battery degradation? o_O

3. comp.doc macrumors newbie

comp.doc

I’ve only had to do the nuclear fix twice in two years of ownership. Most of the time simply popping them back in the case for a few seconds does the trick.

4. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

clean the bottom of the AirPod. I saw some blue gunk which caused the AirPod to not charge sometimes and therefore would not connect.

5. Edwardw851 macrumors newbie

I’ve had this issue occur also. The simple and quick solution I found was just placing the malfunctioning AirPod back in it’s charging case for a moment. Problem solved.

6. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

You should be happy it’s only 50 lol. I am getting about 30 minutes on mine.

7. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

How long have you guys had yours? It will be about 13 months for me and still get about 4 hours

8. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Ive had mine for 2 years and almost 2 months (January after the launch), and mine last anywhere between 30-60 min. I've used them nearly every day, so I'm not complaining, I'm just impatiently waiting for the next gen

9. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Happens often. I just end up resetting the whole thing LOL.

10. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Since they came out. I get about 2 hrs of music time, 60 mins of talk time.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

So if your Airpods aren’t working try un-pairing and re-pairing with your device.

That’s the Bluetooth equivalent of turn it off and back on again, which does in fact solve most problems. :D

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I wonder if AirPods 2 will have Bluetooth 5.0 and help fix this problem

13. Imdougurnot macrumors member

Imdougurnot

Hell, I don’t even get the connection pop-up anymore.

14. MDF314159265 macrumors 6502

MDF314159265

I’ve had one mic go out completely - tested this using the voice memo app. One mic is only static. So I changed the airpods to only use the good mic and voila! Work like they should again.
    Picked mine up the January after release and aside from that issue and one other minor software issue, these have been solid. I easily get 3 hours (probably more) of music playback at around 60% volume. Also, I had the blue buildup too (from sweat) and found that just a quick wipe down after a good workout keeps this from reoccurring.

15. create macrumors newbie

I’m with the other 2 that just put it back in the case. I’ve never had to forget/pair to fix them.

When putting the malfunctioning AirPod back in the case just make sure the light blinks acknowledging that it’s been put in. Try a few times until it does. If not make sure the bottom is clean an try again.

When putting them away I now make sure to see the light blink for each AirPod. This has almost eliminated all instances of one not working or not having a charge.

16. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

One of mine broke for no reason while still under warranty and apple only replaced the faulty one. Now the other one dies like 20% one before the replacement. Super annoying and shows how easily the battery wears out

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No thanks. I would rather try multiple other alternatives to fix the issue before doing any such thing you’re suggesting.

18. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Today I had a new situation- both AirPods were in their case overnight, then I walked out the house and started listening- after three minutes one AirPod was at 1% battery and started to beep.
    I put it back in the case- suddenly it had 83% again. Wtf? And it worked fine for half an hour afterwards.. time for new ones. It’s really peculiar how the old ones start failing just at the right time...

19. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

True but PITA when it happens at a half marathon.

20. Benjamid macrumors member

Benjamid

Buy new ones.

21. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Easy! Buy the new AirPods! :D

Didn’t even have to read the article :cool:

22. mmikuta macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, very heavy Airpod user here. Was using them on an XSMax and the pop up screen stopped showing after about 4 months with the new phone. Took them back to the Apple store and it ended up being the phone that needed replaced. The tech and I tried all kinds of combinations, different airpods, different cases, nothing worked with my phone, but did with all others. The airpods just acted like regular bluetooth devices with no W1 chip characteristics. A full clean iOS reset did not fix the issue either. The store reps noted they had not seen a case like this before, could be your phone.

23. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Just reporting the facts, sir. haha (My son had to do this... college kid and all blech)

24. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

Holy cow this actually worked. My right AirPod was super quiet. I was afraid to try this because I was worried the suckage would rupture the diaphragm. I tried a few times and it didn't do anything. Then I really sucked the hell outta that AirPod like I had the disease and it had the cure and it totally worked.

Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2019 ---
    it works. And no the earwax doesn't go flying into your mouth like a Dillion Harper money shot. Just wipe it off afterwards with a swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and it's good as new.