Only one that thinks this was the most incremental upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robbie12345, Sep 15, 2013.

1. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

The iphone 1 was obviously a huge upgrade, considering it came from nothing, and created a new market.

The iPhone 3g brought 3g wireless which was a huge update from the 2g, because 2g was unusable. Also, the iphone 1 was still the only touch screen phone on the market, so with price reductions, it was dominating.

Next the iphone 3gs, The iphone 3g was pretty slow, so the 3gs was an incredibly nice addition because it greatly improved the speed of the phone, at a time when its predeccessor was terribly slow. IT also added compass and video.

Next the iphone 4, not much faster than the already speedy 3gs, but the thinnest phone on the market. The nicest build quality too. It set the Precedent of high end phones. it also launched with an ahead of its time retina display. At the time it was unheard of, and started the display race for smartphones.

Next iphone 4s, not the best upgrade of all of apples phones, but gave a nice speedbump to the iphone 4. The speed bump wasnt 100% necessary, but was very welcome, as the 4 was still running on two year old 3gs technology.
    Also introduced to us siri, which is still my favorite feature of the iPhone. Oh and a new 8 megapixel camera was nice

NExt the iphone 5, again not the best iphone update, but gave us enough significant features to use. IT gave us 4g let, which isnt neccessary but very nice, a faster processor, not neccessary but made the phone VERY fast, so fast that it could not get any faster. It also got thinner, and a slight redesign. Not to mention the bonus of the 4 inch screen.

Now the iphone 5s. They gave us an updated processor, The iphone 5 is beyond fast, The os will not be able to benefit with a faster processor at this point. Its a mobile os. 64bit is bs. It isnt innovative, apple bought their chips from samsung they didnt engineer them. ITs samsungs innovation not theirs. Plus give me one reason why it helps a mobile os, it doesnt. Oh and apple also added slightly new colors, so people could differentiate, another marketing gimmick, and a touch id. What are you hiding on your phone that you need touch id protection?

Touch id is a gimmick, It in no way merits a new iPhone. Oh and course the new camera. 15% larger aperture, completely the same. All the features are in software and androids have had them for years.

Apple didnt introduce anything new with this phone other than things that have been on android for over two to three years.

Think motorola atria 4g.

Anyways this iphone has almost no new features, and isnt even worth the update from the 4s. Just my two cents

2. iAlphard macrumors regular

Not yet, i can't judge until i see it myself and compare on hand with my 5 or see some benchmark result, user photo and video results. But not for long, we shall see and expect.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for putting a value on your post and opinion :)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think all S updates are incremental. Not sure I want to try and pick out the "most incremental" update.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Sorry, you are badly mistaken with the above bold remarks. Androids do not have the 64 bit CPU nor fingerprint sensor, dual flash, and M7 chip, 120 fps camera and some other neat tricks included. Please point to a link showing Android phones having these please that is 2 or 3 years ago...

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

If I'm not mistaken Apple designs their chips and Samsung builds them, just like the retina display and possibly other parts.

It's funny how people wake up in the morning and just decide to post ridiculous threads.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

8. ladeer, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  9. TC03 macrumors 65816

No, the opposite. 3GS and 4S were merely speed bumps and improved cameras. 5S adds, above speed bump and improved camera, fingerprint sensor, 120 fps recording, co-motion microprocessor and 64-bit CPU. Those three extras make the 5S pretty advanced, more so than the 4S or 3GS.

10. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I had an Audiovox Thera for quite a few years before the iPhone even began production.

11. MecPro macrumors 6502

Yep, ARM/Apple designs, Samsung used to manufacture them, but I thought it went over to TCSM. But I don't know if that information has come out yet.

Waiting on a tear down.

12. atheros07 macrumors member

Completely dead wrong. Stop making stuff up and try using Google for once. Let me help you:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602979-37/apples-64-bit-a7-chip-faq/
    Quote: "Apple is ahead of the pack. "To achieve this feat, Apple must have designed its own custom CPU," Gwenapp said, referring to the 64-bitness in the CPU or central processing unit. ARM's own 64-bit designs are not scheduled for commercial production until 2014 -- and that's probably later in 2014, not early in the year."

And this:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57602372-94/the-real-reasons-apples-64-bit-a7-chip-makes-sense/

13. Roller macrumors 68020

If you really believe that nobody needs to protect the confidentiality of data, you don't know how these devices are used in healthcare and other industries. For people who have to enter long pass codes to access their iPhone thirty or forty times a day, Touch ID will be a huge improvement. Of course, that's assuming that the feature works as advertised and as those who've used a 5s have written, but Apple looks to be the first company to implement reliable biometric ID.

A gimmick refers to "an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal" (dictionary.com). I doubt that you meant that, but if you did, I agree. And it's not just "in software."

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I disagree that the Touch ID is a gimmick. Maybe it isn't a reason to upgrade but it is definitely a good idea.

Apple realised that a lot of people want to put a lock on their phone but don't want to type in four numbers every time they want to use their phone. All Apple have done is worked out how to get round this in a way that appears to work very well. So I think they deserve credit for what they have done with Touch ID.

15. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I see so much misinformation here it's not even funny. Here's a quick game. The first one who finds and corrects all the errors here gets a free Android device :)

16. iAlphard, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

iAlphard macrumors regular

Anything that has to do with luxury needs it is a gimmick. But does touch ID makes thing more convenient? I think we can agree on that. No need to input a passcode or a password anymore, your own fingerprint is your passcode and password.

17. Kurso macrumors 6502

The camera improvements are cool in the 5s. In fact this was the thing that excited me the most about the 5s. The value of the other components are still TBD because they require an ecosystem around them.

FP Sensor - Right now this is a more convenient way to enter your password. Not revolutionary. Until this becomes tightly integrated with apps and services and it changes the way we use our phone it is a nice to have.

64-bit CPU - Again, this is something for the future. You can look at the PC market for guidance here. How many of your apps on your PC or Mac are 64-bit, despite having 64-bit CPUs for a decade? I would venture to guess 0%. It will certainly help in terms of some iOS services but we will see a couple more iPhone models before the impact of this is real.

M7 - This is cool but it is most likely a battery saving feature at best at the moment. Will it have an impact moving? No doubt.

My point is it will take some time before the impact of these features are felt. Some features, like the 64-bit CPU (not the CPU performance boost but the 64-bit architecture) will not be felt before the next iPhone. Other features such as the M7 and FP sensor may add value sometime in the next 3-9 months and then it becomes a question of the price you are paying for being a few months ahead, relative to the iPhone 6.

Having said all that, I'll see you in line on the 20th ;-)

18. Spacial macrumors 6502

Cnet is an Apple shill. They know that by pandering they'll get lots of page views.

19. Icculus macrumors 6502

+1 this!!!!

20. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

The Motorola Atrix has a Finger Print scanner. Was released on 2011.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think it was the most incremental upgrade. Probably on par with all other S upgrades.

22. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Correct. Hell, Samsung does't even build or design most of the chips in their S4 and upcoming note 3. Qualcomm designs them and TSMC fabs them.

----------

Way to back up your opinion with your opinion.

23. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

You have brought new light to my eyes. I've never looked at it this way. Before now, I thought that the 5S was a small upgrade, but now, I see otherwise. It may be a small upgrade over the 5, but compared to previous S updates, it's huge. Siri was a gimmick, touch ID is not.

I'm still not upgrading from my 5, though. I'm not much of a photographer, and my 5 is still blazing fast.

24. iAlphard macrumors regular

Umm, samsung does have chips factory in Texas US, China and South Korea.

25. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Yes it did Zerilos. Where are they now with todays Android ? :confused: