Only one warranty repair on iPads??? Lying salesperson???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by talmy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Just went to the Apple Store to purchase an iPad for my wife's birthday. In pushing Applecare the salesperson said that they have made the warranty more restrictive, allowing only one warranty repair after the first 90 days. And that you could only buy Applecare if you hadn't used the warranty! Nowhere on the Apple site could I find anything like this -- it looked liked the same 90 day phone support 1 year warranty and ability to buy Applecare at any time during that year.

So can anybody confirm what he said? Or was it just a blatant lie?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's very definitely not true. Dunno who you were talking to, but if they actually said that, they were very misinformed.

AppleCare covers any number of problems within the 2 years (on an iPad) that it's valid for, and will cover either replacement or repair (at Apple's discretion). AFAIK, the iPad will almost always be replaced instead of trying to repair them, but I don't know that 100% for certain. The remainder of the warranty should just transfer to the new unit.

jW

4. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

I received an email from Apple inviting me to comment on my purchase. I entered my telephone number. Let's see if they follow up.

"Ishoulda" just walked out when he was explaining that the warranty was only good for one repair. But my wife's birthday is tomorrow and I didn't have enough time to buy via mail-order. My bad for procrastinating.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What the salesman said doesn't make any sense. If your iPad doesn't work, it's either Apple's fault or it isn't. If it is Apple's fault, they need to fix it. If then something else happens that is Apple's fault, they have to fix it again. And again and again (depending on the country where you are, you may have the right to demand your money back, or Apple may have the right to return your money, instead of another repair). But it is quite obvious nonsense that Apple wouldn't have to fix problems if there are two problems that are their fault. In practice, Apple will likely not _repair_ any iPads with problems but replace them with with a new or refurbished one, and I am quite sure that they would _never_ repair the same iPad twice but replace it instead, and _maybe_ he misunderstood this.

The other point is that Apple _always_ lets you buy the extended warranty as long as your original warranty is still intact, no matter how many repairs there have been. So they won't ever say "looks like the iPad we sold you is a bit dodgy because we had to repair it already, so we rather not sell you extended warranty and repair it again".

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S3791LL/A
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

7. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Can you still cll Applecare after the initial 90 days, if the iPad/iPhone/Laptop is broken? Or do you have to pay for that? It's something I've never really understood :confused:

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Yes, you can when it's obvious you have a hardware problem.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At the time of the purchase, I would have contacted the store manager to "verify" ;)

90 days is the limitation of telephone support. The warranty is 1 year long from the date of purchase. You can buy AppleCare to extend your warranty within that first year (so you need to buy AppleCare before that first year expires).

AppleCare comes with 2 years of telephone support which is the only thing that expires in 90 days for your original warranty. So after that 90 days and you need telephone support, you need to get AppleCare; if you don't need telephone support (because you can go to a Genius Bar), you can wait until before the end of that first year to buy your AppleCare extension.

Furthermore AppleCare is overrated for some products especially iPods.

10. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

I just got a call from the Apple Store manager. He apologized and is going to talk to the salesperson. He did say that under Applecare they will give you a loaner iPad while yours is being fixed, which is a nice bonus that they don't do with Macs.