Only rich people are happy, for the rest of us, life blows

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macdoobie, Mar 24, 2008.

1. macdoobie macrumors member

Let me explain.

I'm poor right now. Read: I lost a good paying job and there is no way to afford my rent and bills for this upcoming month. I don't have an amazing lifestyle, hell I don't even own a TV. So I don't have bills I could just end (like cable TV) and be okay. I'm talking the BARE MINIMUM to survive in this country. And if you ask about my internet bill, I admit it, I use someone elses.

Anyway, only rich people are happy. The people in mercedes talking on their iPhone reserving seats at a fancy place to eat, smiling, happy as can be. In good health these rich people are too, afterall, they can afford health insurance! And for someone like me with medical problems (and no insurance now!) how can I afford $1300/month out of pocket with all the other crap I have to pay for? Meanwhile, rich stupid basketball players are making millions for throwing a ball in a little hoop...and 70% of america is thrown into the gutter.
    :mad::mad::mad::(

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'm sorry for your misfortune.... but money can't buy you happiness, or love...

the basketball players and rockstars have all figured out how to get people to pay a lot to come see them perform... so, good for them...

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Rich people aren't necessarily happy, you know.

They can afford a better class of misery, though.

4. maceleven macrumors 6502

Only SERVING the almighty and living GOD will bring you joy

Isaiah 61:10
    I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
    Isaiah 61:9-11 (in Context) Isaiah 61 (Whole Chapter):)

5. macdoobie thread starter macrumors member

they have different struggles i know.

but they NEVER have to worry about if they have a place to live in the next 30 days, and contemplate what bridge in the city offers the best wind protection

they never have to worry about medical costs, or food

the list goes on and on

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sorry for what happened to you and I hope it turns out well.

Being rich wont always make you happy, if something bad happened to me and I had all the money in the world I would still be sad.

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

There is something big to learn from those situations. I have been there, with nothing, and I have been rich with everything and wasted.

Today I do not know where I am but when I see around I am sure better than most still.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope, it just the rich people can't complain about money(well at least not complain rightfully about it)

I'm sure they can be just as miserable as poor people...but possible about different things

9. juanm macrumors 65816

Try to find a job in a country with public healthcare. Working in the Eurozone and spending your holiday in dollarzone will -almost- give you the feeling that you're rich. :p

Edit: Also, next time you've a good job, save your money.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The original poster is not eligible for discussion of social issues in these forums, but others may continue to discuss the topic.

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My parents combined make almost $400,000 a year and I am not happy at all.

I wake up every morning hating my life. I go to bed every night dreading the next day. I've got friends, a future ahead of me, opportunities others probably don't, etc, but I just can't be happy. I dwell on all the bad things in my life and it brings me down. I know that I should be happy, but I'm not.

Everyone has their rough patches in life. I for what ever am in one right now. Just because people have mercedes and iPhones doesn't mean they're rich either. My uncle has a brand new company BMW, a new cell phone everytime I see him, but its all owned by his company, he hardly has a house to live in because his wife divorced him and took basically everything.

You'll find something, patience is a virtue.

12. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Most sheltered rich people will never realize the full joy of having nothing ;)

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

You should really be looking for a job, right now.

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss, that must be terrible. If it was a good paying job, though, couldn't you have put some away in the bank for cases such as this?

There's actually very little correlation between monetary wealth and happiness.

Spare me. Rich people are bad, right? :rolleyes:

That's the way the economy works. If your skills are in demand, and that demand is substantial enough, you can reap the rewards. These people "throwing a ball in a little hoop" have spent far more hours on the basketball court improving their skill, athleticism, and talent than you could dream of. People like to watch them, they get paid well. So my advice is to find something in yourself that you like, and then find a job you can perform where that good quality is desired. If you like children, find a job in child services. The government is always hiring (maybe not always, but a lot). If there's a help wanted sign anywhere, do that, even if it isn't your dream job.

Good luck.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

[​IMG]

15. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Can't even afford to complain? :D

16. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Actually, studies have shown that once basic needs are accounted for, happiness scales pretty closely with additional wealth.

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

In fact, why not get a demo version of FLStudio and play 3 notes over and over again and sell it? That worked with Soulja Boy :D

Disclaimer: The above is a joke, Crank That is my favorite song :D

18. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

That should be an indictment on the people who pay her money to show up to parties. Otherwise, I don't see your point.

I'll try to find my sources, but I'm absolutely sure that I remembered their conclusion correctly. It was one of the main tenants of this course I took, I just need to remember where I read it...

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No point. Just a picture of someone the economy has rewarded for their hard work at honing their skills.

20. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I did get a laugh out of that picture, BTW.

Capitalism is not perfect, but it's the closest thing the world has ever seen to equality of opportunity.

But really, she found out that the public, for some reason, buys her services to show up to parties. That's not her fault. A more apt picture would be that of the idiot parents who would hire Paris Hilton to show up to a party and part with gobs of cash for that "opportunity." ;)

21. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I have to stop you right there. Besides the economic factors of sports in this country that propel huge salaries, professional basketball players work harder at their sport, or "job" if you are so inclined, than anything you have ever worked at. They started training when they are about 10 years old for hours on end. I went to HS with two current NBA players (both starters and large contributors to their teams) and played on the basketball team with them. They both were hard working. I have to admit that one was harder working than the other. He was in the gym every morning from 4:30-8 before classes, practiced an hour at lunch, practiced with the team for 2:30 hrs or so, and then stayed around the gym shooting for another hour or so. He spent almost 8 hrs a day in the gym DURING HIGH SCHOOL. During the summer or any other breaks, he could be found in the gym for at least 14 hrs a day, unless he was at camps where he basically played from 6:30 in the morning until 10 pm at night. Most athletes, especially the elite ones, do not take days off, have sick days, sit around and watch tv during the weekend. So, before you throw athletes under the bus, learn about what they do - they work much much harder than the average american.

Otherwise, rich people have problems and poor people have problems. Poor people have necessity problems (housing, food, etc.) while rich people usually have problems that are associated with their money. It sucks to not be rich, but I'm sorry, when you lose your job you should have at minimum 3 months salary saved in case of such emergencies, besides your retirement savings, investments, etc. That is just sound financial planning.

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Still, the insane amounts of money professional athletes make is hardly proportional to the time they spend.

I've trained to be a scientist all my life (my parents just sent me my lab "notebook" kept when I was 5, really cute and I was actually quite observant). I spend a lot of time in the lab. I spend a lot of my free time thinking about science and honing my skills.

Do I get payed millions of dollars? Nope.

I don't even want that much money. But to say that they're getting payed in proportion to their energy spent is disingenuous.

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Unfortunately, that's how it is.

Soon, there will be no middle class America. There will only be rich America and poor America.:(

24. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

25. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Huh? I didn't say at all they aren't working hard. So are you saying that their working hard is somehow worth more than my working hard? They're throwing a ball through a hoop. I'm working on curing a disease. Does that really correlate to them making millions and me making the scientists pay (you should really see what they pay low on the totem pole scientists).