Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booyahbooyah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I have an unlimited SMS (phone texting) plan.

I've used iMessage, and been disappointed with it (messages were taking to long to reach my friends.)

So -- I've switched off iMessages on my iPhone.

Question: Is there a way to configure it so that I can exclusively use iMessages on my iPad, exclusively use SMS on my iPhone, and have it so that they seamlessly sync on both devices (and I realize that I will only be able to text other i-devices from my iPad)?

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
nope

You'd be able to send and receive from both devices, but you would not be able to see messages sent to/from your iPad on your iPhone and vice versa.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I've used iMessage, and been disappointed with it (messages were taking to long to reach my friends.)

Question: Is there a way to configure it so that I can exclusively use iMessages on my iPad, exclusively use SMS on my iPhone, and have it so that they seamlessly sync on both devices (and I realize that I will only be able to text other i-devices from my iPad)?

Nope. SMS will not sync as they are different system and to have iMessages show in your iPhone you have to have it on and set up with your apple id

Last edited:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I would use an email address for iMessage on an iPad. If you use your cell number, you won't get the text messages on your phone if you turn off iMessage on your phone. i.e. if you send someone text message that has an iPhone it will go through as regular text message, but if they reply it probably going to go through as an iMessage to your iPad. That's why I suggest using an email address for iMessage on your iPad.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010

Disable iMessage on your iPhone. All message coming and going from your iPhone will be SMS only.

About the iPad, a bit tricky. Since iOS 6 (I think..), your phone # is attached to your apple ID. Therefore, your # will appear on iPad as well.
If you enable that # in your iPad, people with iDevices who "text" to your number, it'll be sent as iMessage to your iPad and nothing to your iPhone.

Soo... best way is to disable the phone number on your iPad and use only email as iMessage on your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.