Onscreen keyboard for high volume email and writing or Blackberry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entatlrg, Dec 15, 2011.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I run into a fair number of people in business who love their iPhones but still keep their Blackberry account open for the sake of the keyboard.

Anyone use the onscreen keyboard for high volume email, how do you like it?

Any iPhone users who keep their Blackberry active due to preference of the physical keyboard?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Both devices suck for "high volume." It's not the on-screen or physical keyboard... it's the form factor.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Either one of them will be an "acquired taste". I wrote novels on my BB and found the iPhone hard to handle. Then I practiced and got better on it. Now it's not as hard. :cool:

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I think everybody has a different definition of high volume so it really depends on the person their position,online activity e.g. twitter,social networks... Also anything bigger than a couple hundred characters in my opinion would be uncomfortable to type on either of these and i would use a computer instead.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a subjective matter. Polling others really won't tell you anything other than some like it and some do not. I have no problems with it. YMMV.

Guess I overlooked the "some don't like either" option.

No. I keep my BB because it's company issued.

6. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Perhaps ... although I know people who can type an incredibly accurate email without even looking at screen or keyboard ... impressed me.

Some business people literally run their business from their Blackberry's. Their keyboards are good, in particular the Blackberry 9900 has an incredible keyboard. Some prefer to type on their Blackberry's over their laptops.

Can't really say the form factor sucks, for you maybe, but not everyone.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Coming from a blackberry many years ago, I can say that the iPhone keyboard does not keep up to par with fast thumbing speeds. It often misses button presses, resulting in typos or incorrect autocorrections (think of the many sites that have those funny iPhone typos). I've always been a critic of both the iOS and Android keyboard for years.

I'd definitely test before committing.

8. Power Ranger macrumors member

Not a BB user, but former Nokia E71 user. I actually find typing easier & more accurate with the iOS keyboard. Again, that's just me.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm not saying it sucks; the market does. No company with over 5 employees runs their entire business from their Blackberry or iPhone.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Before the iPhone I used Blackberries, Palms, and windows mobile devices. They all sucked for lengthy emails. The iPhone isn't suited for it either. But they are equally good for brief responses.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Personally, I think I can type faster and more accurately on my iPhone than on my BlackBerry. However, I would never write a novel on either device.

12. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have written some absolute novels on my iPhone. I'm not really a textaholic, but I can type very fast and without looking. I think that the iPhones keyboard for whatever the reason be just flat out works better. I've had the thunderbolt, currently own my 4S, bionic, and galaxy Nexus, and the iPhone blows them all away in typing.

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

IMO nothing can replace a physical keyboard. I'd suggest you to test one out. I sometimes see fast typers with their iPhone or Android handsets (even BB), but not as many.