ontroversy over local high school student's tweet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 1, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/30532415/controversy-over-local-high-school-students-tweet
    her tweet?
    the punishment
    nothing like grooming the next generation of morons who need their safe space because of "words"

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Let's not combat shrill ignorance with shrill overreaction, huh people?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I still don't understand why schools think they have the right to interfere with student's personal and online lives, barring threats and bullying that carries into the school itself of course.

Why would any parent think its ok for a school system to monitor their student's online activities?

That said, enough with this "safe space" nonsense, the only people who bring this kind of stuff up seems to be the talk radio group that need something to be upset about this week.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your words are hurting me, stop , please stop :p

nice post BTW.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks, I've noticed we've been a bit more civil in our discourse lately.

Cheers

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Tweeting. A component of One World Government. A place where the thought police roam.

If you're not attacked with immediacy, be patient. Someone will get around to it, say, when you're applying for a job at some point in the future.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm still wondering what the purpose of Twitter is, if not to get people in trouble for recording in public statements that used to disperse in milliseconds after they were blurted out.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't like the idea of kids being disciplined at school for things that they did online or off campus unless there is something about the account they used to post it that makes it appear that the school was endorsing the view. However the article in the OP did have a point here.
    If you want to say something stupid/offensive you should be prepared to deal with the consequences, that's how it works in the real world.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Right but the consequences should be fair. I don't think what she tweeted was so offensive. She said people didn't vote in that town because they couldn't since they weren't here legally. Isn't that simply a fact? (And if it's not true, the proper response is, nice try but you're wrong)

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would agree with you that the consequences seem to be a bit too much for making a stupid statement.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No me! I don't post much of anything on Twitter. It's my way of sticking it to the Illuminati.

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Since when did we get the right to not be offended? This is a perfect example of the wussification of America. Also, the "punishment fit the crime"... She said nothing wrong. She was getting a point across that many people could not vote because they were illegal. How the heck is stating a fact offensive? This PC stuff is getting old. I don't even know what I can say any more lest someone get offended.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

the only question I have, and perhaps a native of the area could answer this: Is the school a public, or private school?

Having that answer provides if the school were legally right or wrong in this incident.

BL.

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Liberals love free speech unless you disagree with them. I love seeing public schools and academia eating themselves alive!

I don't use twitter or facebook, but if I did, it would be 100% anonymous. Nowadays people are such feet-stamping wimps that they will get you fired, just like at Missou.

15. Renzatic, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Let me break down modern political discourse for you right fast with a nice little conversational analogy between a far left Liberal, and a far right conservative.

"The Mexicans are here to take our jobs, the blacks are rioting, and the Muslims are out to kill us all! It's a madhouse, I tells ya!"

"That's racist, and I find your post offensive! People like you are the reason why blah blah blah..."

"Oh! Did I offend your delicate sensibilities? Was my TRUTH too hard for you to bear? If you can't take the heat blah blah blah..."

"Waaahhhhh. Everyone's so mean to me, and it's just NOT FAIR!"

"We have to be mean because everything's so scary, and it's all changing SO FAST! Wahhhhh!"

"Wahhhh!"

"Wahhhh!"

And there you go.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, do we know that this happened at a public or private school? The article doesn't mention that, so how about you hold fire on your usual political rhetoric and see if that question can be answered.

BL.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And conservatives love knee-jerk jumping on a bandwagon without actually knowing the back story or being able to verify any of the facts presented. I think gullible is the term for them as they scramble to copy and paste a story and give the media outlets page hit after page hit.

This making stuff up for culture wars nonsense sure is productive! It surely will improve US politics!

18. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

http://www.revereps.mec.edu/reverehighschool/ that is the website that came up when I googled the name of the high school in the article. It appears to be public.

20. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I'm telling ya, school is literally the sole cause of personal problems in the US (and possibly in other countries). It's sad when people are literally trying to punish a kid for just making a political comment. School shouldn't have the right to check on kids' private behaviour. Parents are the ones supposed to be responsible of that, not some stupid broken system.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I agree with the sentiment, though not necessarily the focus of your message. I don't think it's the schools that are to blame, more todays hyper-politicized culture in general.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Everyone needs to be force fed a midol

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I once mistakenly told a doctor I took a Midol instead of a Motrin. He looked at me funny...

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Agreed. Schools really should spend more time garnering critical thinking so adults don't fall for everything they read in the media without being able to verify it or check the back story.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I do question the quality of education in this school if the student thought that her tweet was anywhere close to factual.