Oooops, we did it again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

A black man was killed by cops during an arrest in Baton Rouge. Video of the shooting appears to show the man already on the ground when one office shouts "gun". Shots are then fired.

"The head of the NAACP in Baton Rouge called Wednesday for the police chief to be fired after a Louisiana police officer shot and killed a black man during a confrontation outside a convenience store."

http://nypost.com/2016/07/06/video-shows-fatal-altercation-between-police-man-selling-cds/

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Lets not wait for all the facts, lets just publicly excoriate the cops now and ruin their lives with zero regard for due process or an internal affairs revue. Because we saw how well that worked in Ferguson.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

did what? jump to conclusions?

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My feeling is if he had a gun in his pocket, the cops will be exonerated using the feared for my life standard regardless if the gun was out or not. Now, if he had a gun and was trying to pull it out and the police did not have him subdued... But that remains to be determined.

5. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

It was enough to justify killing LaVoy Finicum.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Louisiana Governor is speaking now, he called the video disturbing and said that the Justice Dept, civil rights division, will be the lead investigation. JD:CRD!

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

So, shoot him first, and, then determine if he had a concealed carry permit?

The only reason for shooting someone is to stop an immediate threat. Was the gun in his hand?

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

can't tell by the video, car is in the way. one of the cops did yell "gun" .
    guy was tazed and refused to comply with simple orders, high perhaps? if the gun was indeed in his pocket then the cop who yelled "gun" needs to be prosecuted at the least for criminal negligence. the shooter with at least manslaughter.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I can tell you with 100% certainty that either no charges will be made, or all charges will be dropped against the cops.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I haven't had a chance to watch the video, but if they actually had him down and completely restrained then the police were in the wrong. If not then since he did have a gun he may have been going for it, and even if he didn't have a gun we unfortunately live in a country where there are so many guns out there that the only safe thing for the police to do is assume everyone they are arresting has a gun.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well they didn't have him completely restrained, the victim was able to lift his head off the ground before the cop shot him, repeatedly.

This video was sickening, akin to the person that was shot through the back while handcuffed on the ground on that train platform.

12. iHackPro macrumors regular

There was absolutely no reason for the police to shoot. They had him constrained, and it doesn't look like he is resisting at all. Even if he had a gun, with someone on top of him, I imagine it would be pretty hard for him to shoot someone.

Ridiculous.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If he was unarmed, then %#@* the police.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

NRA: Buy a gun
    Cops: Buy a gun, you can't count on us being there in time
    Cops: He has a gun!

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

cops. "get down on the ground". cops deploy tazer & that does not work, cops move to physically restrain the man.

plenty of opportunities for the guy to comply with basic commands . but go ahead and blame the NRA and the cops:rolleyes:

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sorry you see it as blaming the NRA. I merely pointed out two talking points that are constantly uttered by the NRA and many cops. I guess I should have looked for a meme.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It isn't blaming the NRA, it's drawing attention to this seeming contradiction that people should have the right to carry arms, but finding a gun in your pocket when you're on the ground and restrained is a perfectly valid reason to apply lethal force.

18. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

you can always create your own meme with meme generator and save time :D
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2016 ---
    try post 8. I don't see anyone saying it was ok IF the gun was in his pocket.
    yet to see a single post stating this was justified, Liver gets close implying it was ok if he DID have a gun, but no one else justifies the shooting.

19. daflake macrumors 6502a

So let me get this right... Police get called about a man threatening another person with a gun. Police respond and then guy becomes belligerent refusing to follow police orders. Police then deploy taser which has no effect and move to take the guy down knowing he is armed. Guy fights back all the way down and could have potentially moved to pulling that firearm so cops shoot and kill suspect.

Yep, this is the NRA's fault, the guns fault, the cops fault, the mayors fault, basically everyone/thing except the idiot who was belligerent with the cops and was armed.

I can't believe half the crap I am reading. If you think you can do it better, why not join your local police force and see what it is really like.

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

Memes are always accepted as final word in any legitimate debate. Also acceptable are emoticons, especially animated ones. It's usually frowned upon, but you can also try three-word responses to everything, like "it's my right" or "don't buy one".
    This is where your argument falls apart. You don't kill someone because they could "potentially" pull a gun on you. That's not how it works.

What you also need to understand is that condemning the actions of one group does not automatically forgive or accept the actions of the opposing group.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

[​IMG]

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

NOT one more inch. <<<<<<< 4 words, add emoty for extra points. :D

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not one more inch? ****, that's 4 words.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I would say BS since that really hurts, been there:(

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh yea JK, two guys sitting on him and him clearly not resisting other than yelling in the video....death sentence.