ooTunes Radio 2.1 released - pick what you want to hear, by track!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wooo, Jun 2, 2009.

1. wooo macrumors member

Hi MR frequenters... I wanted to let you all know I just released version 2.1.0 of my ooTunes Radio iPhone app. This version has something really really cool (the start of it at least). You can now see what's playing on over 100 stations in realtime. So you can "change channels" based on the currently playing track. It's not perfect, but the more people use it, the better/more diverse the selection becomes. It's (painfully) named "Radio RooLette". Let me know what you think, I think I'm having a blast with it...

Here's the full "press release" (if it can be called that):

Version 2.1.0 of the ooTunes Radio app for iPhone/iPod Touch is now available!!!

The free update will show up in the "updates" tab within the blue "App Store" app on your iPhone/iPod Touch, or Get it now!

So what's new?? A couple of minor bug fixes, some minor improvements and 1 thing I really want to talk about!

Radio RooLette: lame name, awesome idea :)
    This is *the* killer feature for internet radio. You already have 1000's of streams to pick from and they're neatly categorized into something like 300 genres 284 US cities and 89 countries (more on the way next update, I promise :), you can even shake to hear any of them at random.

So how do you find NEW stuff to listen to? You can probably only tolerate hearing about "WebEx" or "what you should do about cyberbullies" maybe 10 times per hour.
    Hey, you may even want an occasional break from listening to Rush Limbaugh or Al Sharpton or even Ira Glass....

so Radio RooLette is the first of such features that lets you find and hear a station not based on it's name, location or genre, but by what it's actually playing RIGHT NOW!

It's loads of fun, try it out using the "Radio RooLette" button item right on ooTunes' "Home" screen. Let me know if you love it or hate it, and of course, let me know if you have any other feature ideas, questions, suggestions or if you want me to marry your daughter (no don't really, I'm spoken for :)

Other novelties aren't as significant, but here's a few:
    Pause and resume (both regular tracks and live streams).
    The current playing track is automatically selected so Lyrics, similar songs and low price search are shown with a single tap.
    An oft requested "Home" button is now on the "now playing" screen.
    Album lists from your ooTunes Server now display album art and the number of tracks in that album.
    Bookmarks, Favorites, Tagged stations and other lists of stations (by city, genre, etc.) are now sorted alphabetically.
    Better display of longer station names.
    Default Twitter/Facebook posts are now much shorter and more readable.
    New "ooTunes Track Info" page for tracks you've bookmarked (if they can't be played directly)... expect this to become really really cool over time :)
    Last webpage is remembered if you close the built-in webbrowser.
    Speed and stability improvements

As always...

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! Lots more still to come....

If you like it, please TELL YOUR FRIENDS (the more people using the app, the better the odds of the "RooLette" :), leave a review in the App Store (or update it if you already left one and this fixes any issues), blog about it, tell your favorite radio stations to promote it!

Thanks for your support!

Steve

(ooTunes Nerd #1)

P.S. I've also decided to ditch the "1 year renewable" thing on all ooTunes Server accounts. All accounts have been extended to 4 years from their signup date, for now, and all future server signups will have a 4 year expiration date.

2. return7 macrumors 6502

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Yes, quite happy with the new changes. This is now pushing last.fm as music player of choice.

4. wooo thread starter macrumors member

@return7
    Thanks man! Funny thing is after the 5 random rejections back on my first few releases/updates, I'm sooo nervous submitting an update, but the last 2 have gone through in less than 10 days without any issue. I still get nervous though... maybe the phone call to apple got them to lay off a bit :)

@Randman
    The best part is, with the server (as long as you have a last.fm premium account, since I think they changed their api streaming stuff last month) you get both with ooTunes :) I hope to add scrobbling to just the app (without the server doing it) next release.

5. iphonerain macrumors member

Saw your app in the appstore while browsing yesterday - looks pretty cool. Might want to think about jazzing up your site though :D

6. return7 macrumors 6502

Trust me, I've been there. 5 weeks to get PlaceTagger 1.0 though. :( They called me w/ BillMinder 1.5.1 and asked me to change some things.. nothing unreasonable. I did it and a week later they approved it. It is what it is. :\

7. wooo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the constructive criticism :) Trust me it's not a matter of "thinking about it" so much as a matter of ... time... (and you should have seen the older version of the site... it made this one look like a ferrari!)

Let me explain... (my wife, who's been learning both html, css and adobe illustrator) did the site... mostly... see her witty disclaimer at the bottom of this page

That being said, I'm already in over my head with the app, the server and life (I'm still working on my PhD). I'm doing the best I can while trying to stay sane, but if you send me a message or contact me using this form I'd welcome any specific feedback on what part of the site needs the most jazzing (my strategy is one of complete and total prioritization...). If you have the skills to contribute I'll hook you up with the server and an app promo code for your time. Let me know!

8. wooo thread starter macrumors member

yeah, didn't they reject cast catcher too for bandwidth usage? Something like that happened like a few weeks before I submitted and I was scared to death that they'd reject mine for similar reasons. To this day I'm scared to put the "enable high bitrate streams on the cell network" in any convenient location within the app (it's in the "Settings" app which I'd say 2% of users even know about based on the support requests and comments I see in the app store) for fear that they'll reject it for that. Others have it in the app but, consistency is not apparently a rule when it comes to apple's app reviewers :(

9. return7 macrumors 6502

yep they did that too :[ they're really nice when they call tho. i don't think they're trying to be difficult, it's just that it's been tough for them to establish standards given the variety of apps. that doesn't make it suck any less for us, of course.

10. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

basavarajp...you are WRONG. You are spamming your new app all over the place and frankly I am already tired of seeing it. This one takes the cake...trying to SABOTAGE a fellow developers post about his app with your advertising is TOTALLY OUT OF LINE!!! How would you like all of the other radio developers to go into all or your posts and add their product to yours?
    I have reported you for sabotage and spamming. :mad::mad::mad:

Go somewhere else, I do not think many people will appreciate you spamming your app over every dang page and post of MR.

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

12. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Anyone?

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

the 2.5 update is out and i just grabbed it. Great app.

14. wooo thread starter macrumors member

ooTunes Radio 2.5

Glad you like it :) Sorry I didn't see your question before, but I guess you can answer it yourself now!

Here's the full list of new features/improvements in 2.5:
    http://ootunes.com/app/update2.5.html

Probably the biggest one (at least for me) is that it now supports rtmp protocol which is what flash streams use (great thing to have since a lot of stations are now switching to flash streaming).

Searching is vastly improved (I'm the first to admit it was terrible... I started with 3000 streams 6 months ago, and now I'm up to over 12,000!

Background playback for mp3 and aac streams was also highly requested (of course) and this is without using the ooTunes server, although the server is still needed for background playback of wma, real audio, or ogg vorbis streams.

Lots of other minor improvements (less battery usage, full screen/landscape browser, rtsp protocol support, a sleep timer, etc.)

I'll follow the thread a bit better now so if anyone has any questions, etc. please just ask.
    Steve

15. Fedorov macrumors 6502

While not personally interested in the desktop server side of things, I'm interested to hear how this compares to Wunder Radio if purchased purely for "Radio Only".

More than happy to hear from the dev as to what more this gives me over Wunder Radio as I'm sure you guys all watch the competition. :)

Thanks.

16. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I can answer your question...there is no comparison!!!

Wunder Radio has ZERO customer support or care. They load the streams that are popular or have a large market and let the little guy struggle on their own.

ooTunes has almost INSTANT customer support and supports the customer and any requests that he can load on to his app. he has gone from a few 100 radio stations to over 12,000!!! The difference is that these 12K are CUSTOMER requested stations .vs what someone is choosing for you. If you want customer support, and an all around player that is adaptable and offers more choices then just a straight stream player, then ooTunes is the better choice!

When and if you are ever ready to upgrade to the ooTunes Server, then you already have the first piece. If you dont, then you have not lost anything by getting ooTunes over Blunder Radio.

This app is CUSTOMER oriented and serviced and there is NO better!!!

17. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Good enough answer for me thanks, buying...

As a developer myself I alway appreciate apps that have excellent customer support. Off to have a play :)

18. wooo thread starter macrumors member

Well, you asked for it (and of course you'll know my biases!) Even if you now own it and can see for yourself...

So what I view probably as the biggest difference between Wunder Radio and mine is that I wrote this (originally) as a Music player. I LOVE music, every bit of coding I have ever done in my spare time has had to do with Music in some way....

So I wrote the ooTunes Server to scratch my own itch, all my music, anywhere, anytime.

So ooTunes Radio is really a Music focused app. Sure it will play talk radio and sports radio (ESPN, BBC, CNN, NPR, etc.) just great, but where it really shines is with music stations. When stations provide it (probably almost 50% do now) it shows not only the track/artist, but finds the artwork and even lyrics. It keeps a history of what you've heard, you can bookmark a track for later so you can remember something you liked (you can even do a price search within the app to find the whole album ... yes some people still buy albums!) You can search youtube for a song's music video, visit the last.fm page for it, etc.

Now add to that the ooTunes server (which is sorta like "simplify music" on crack, but a bit harder to setup) and you've got it all, in one app...

So, you can read the bulleted points of both apps, and both are great (or people wouldn't be buying them!) but that's I guess the best way I can describe the difference.

And where's it going to go in the future? I've got some really cool features up my sleeve) I still think "radio roolette" is one of the most brilliant ideas ever (maybe my implementation isn't what I wanted it to be, or maybe I'm delusional) but the more popular my app becomes the more powerful that type of information will become.... imagine getting a notification when a song you want to hear is on some station... and being able to tap a button in the app and have it recorded for later.... (this isn't in version 2.5.. I'm just saying, the sky's the limit!)

Oh, and it can play flash/rtmp audio streams... nothing else in the app store can do that (that I'm aware of)

If you have feature requests, or other suggestions, just let me know!

(Note To Self: be more secretive about these great ideas!!! )

19. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I was looking at either ooTunes or Wunder Radio, and so I appreciate SFC Archer's review of both, I went with ooTunes, and so far it's been great!

20. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Thanks for the detailed response - certainly impressed so far and thanks for adding my local station to your list so quickly.

21. wooo thread starter macrumors member

My pleasure, though I've added 50 or 60 stations in the last 2 days and I don't actually remember which one I added for you :) Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement or feature ideas.

22. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

23. wooo thread starter macrumors member

Sure, I've added it now (and made sure all the other streams from WWFM are up and running). See:http://ootunes.com/stations/WWFM

24. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

^Wow, so quick...and 128kb as well! 5* rating on App store just for the service!!

25. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

One other thing...on the home screen, the font on the diff options (search, favorites, recent, etc...) doesn't look very clear / sharp compared to the label "Home" at the top.