Open apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidra, Nov 10, 2011.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

Basic question, as I am new to iOS. Coming from WebOS, which made it quite easy to close apps, I find the way iOS handles "closed" apps troublesome. I have heard many people say that these apps aren't really open; my IT people have told me that they have run into many problems that are solved by going through the absurd closing method (home twice, holding an app, then finally closing each one). Some of you seem convinced that these make no difference, but I have also had several issues that seemed to be solved by closing a bunch of "open" apps. The thing that prompted the post is that I downloaded an app (System Max) that tracks memory and CPU. On looking at memory in use, with a bunch of "open" apps almost all the memory is used (more than 90%, and in the red portion of their gauge). Deleting them opens up at least half of the memory. How can that NOT affect processes by the phone? Why is there not some easier way to definitively close down an app when you're done with it? Either I'm missing something obvious, or the system is flawed.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Below are my personal answers to your questions:

Q: How can that NOT affect processes by the phone?
    A: Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, I don't know. Is it causing you and/or your phone problems?

Q: Why is there not some easier way to definitively close down an app when you're done with it?
    A: Because Apple hasn't created one.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

So what if the memory is full? If you close the apps, the memory is free but what does that get you? You really should just not worry about it.

Remember, free memory = wasted memory.

:)

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Bingo.

The only reason to close apps is as a trouble-shooting method if you suspect one is buggy. So it can be useful, but only in that context. If you're not using it in that way it's just a waste of time.

5. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Nailed it :D

its the exact same way with Android. most apps are running in the background until the system needs memory. then the ones that haven't been used for the longest amount of time get closed. system memory always takes precedence. so don't worry about it. i generally close all my apps and then do a full reboot about once a week just for maintenance but otherwise its no big deal.

6. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I'll take your word for it. Certainly when all the available memory is being used on a computer things don't run as well....but that's because computers actually multitask, as WebOS does. I can see it would make more of a difference in that setting.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but since the iPhone isn't multi-tasking in that sense, extra RAM has no benefit. When the phone needs more memory it will clear it out and dump old programs. When it doesn't need it, it won't and those older programs will load faster the next time you switch to them.

8. spaghetti head macrumors member

Open GPS apps will run down your battery very quickly. I've woken up to a dead phone several times because of this. The other open apps have never caused me any noticeable problems.