"open with" excluding backup ddrive?

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I have an external partitioned drive that I use to backup my laptop drive. I have it mounted most of the time because I use the other half of the drive for storage. I have Spotlight set to ignore searching the backup drive, but I can't figure out how to keep the "Open With" option (when selecting a file and opening it) to excluding giving my apps on the backup drive.

I don't beelive there is an option for it, so is anyone aware of a hack or 3rd party trick to turn it off? Any ideas?

Thanks guys, you're all great :)

~Earendil
~Tyler

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
There have been a couple of threads (including one started by me) about the Open With menu. It doesn't seem like anyone around here knows of anything like you're asking for, but if you find it, let me know cause I've been looking for awhile too.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Talking off the top of my head here (for a change), but coudn't you rename the backed up Apps with a space or something in front of their names?

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I don't think the spaces are a good idea, it will probably screw up the auto sync. Yeah I came across a few threads without answer. I was hoping someone had since found something out and not come back to post it... bummer.

And we're talking about Tiger here, sorry I didn't mention that.

~Earendil