Opened new line for the 5..put on main line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by map1978, Sep 20, 2012.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Can someone confirm this...

I opened a new line on my account, so can I just take the 5 to the store tomorrow and have them add it to my main line?

Currently I still have the 4S. I want to put that on the new line. Actually I have plans on selling that phone and use a dumb phone on that line (making it $10 a month extra).

If yes, I'm sure I can call att this weekend and dump the data and unlimited messaging on the new line (had to add these features to pre order)

Is it any easy as it sounds?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much.
    Shouldnt be that hard.
    Hope it can be done over the phone cause Im also doing a similar swap and dont feel like going to the AT&T store on iphone launch day.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Sprint is great about this, I can do it in just a few minutes on the website! Yay!!

4. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

I think I can bear with the wait at the att store if it sounds this simple to do...it def won't be as bad as going to an apple store

I might give the phone call a try first....might take longer to stay on hold on the phone than going to a store. I'm sure they will be heavily staffed.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I will try the call first too.
    The store is about 15-20 minutes away so kinda of a pain but if there's no other easier option then I'll go.

I dont know if the nanosim can be re-programmed on the site though.
    Cause all new iphones will come with a sim and without one or one programmed with a different number it wont work.

6. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's the same procedure.

When you get your phone, don't activate it. Call AT&T from a different phone not involved in the swap. They'll ask you which line you want the phone activated on. They'll handle the rest.

8. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

I will def give this a first try option and if not, visit one of the 487 att stores in my area

thanks man

9. al0513 macrumors 6502

This is what I'm doing. Spent a few minutes on the phone with a very nice lady from AT&T. This is what she told me to do :)

10. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

what did she tell you to do?

11. CheesyTators macrumors member

I didn't have an upgrade available to transfer with Verizon so I just added a new line. With Verizon I have to activate it on the new line first before I can transfer to my main line, otherwise I was told it will cause the new line to close and charge me an ETF. So I have to go to a store later in the week for a new nano-sim.