Opening audio CD shrinkwrapping

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Am I the only person in the world who has no ability whatsoever to get the shrinkwrap off an audio CD? I'm glad I buy a lot of my music online now because my storebought CDs must stay in their sealed packages until a friend or relative takes pity on me as I sit there sobbing over the new CD I can't listen to.

Sometimes I can find the little flap that's supposed to let you zip off the edge of the shrinkwrap, but then the little flap itself always tears off when I try to use it. More often, I can't find the little flap at all. A sharp object can sometimes get it open, but may also leave the jewel case scratched.

Is there an Opening Audio CDs for Dummies book? If there is a secret that everyone but me knows, will somebody violate the oath of secrecy and let me in on it?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Doctor Q said:
Am I the only person in the world who has no ability whatsoever to get the shrinkwrap off an audio CD? I'm glad I buy a lot of my music online now because my storebought CDs must stay in their sealed packages until a friend or relative takes pity on me as I sit there sobbing over the new CD I can't listen to.

Sometimes I can find the little flap that's supposed to let you zip off the edge of the shrinkwrap, but then the little flap itself always tears off when I try to use it. More often, I can't find the little flap at all. A sharp object can sometimes get it open, but may also leave the jewel case scratched.

Is there an Opening Audio CDs for Dummies book? If there is a secret that everyone but me knows, will somebody violate the oath of secrecy and let me in on it?
If you zip one of the bumpy edges of the CD (top or bottom) against a hard corner, the plastic wrap will slice open, allowing you access to the CD.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I run my thumbnail down the seam between the lid and the grey plastic hinge, just above where the lid hinges, then it comes off really easily, I'm opening a lot of DVD-r's lately and it works a treat.

If your thumbnail isn't strong enough, a pocket knife will do.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Chip NoVaMac said:
And hear I thought you were going to rant about user licenses for the newer copy protected CD's
As a matter of fact, I was trying to open the new [playListId=68615813]Foo Fighters CD[/playListId]. The CD comes with warnings that "This CD is protected against unauthorized duplication" and "See system requirement on back". On the back, the requirements are in 2-point type, which many people won't be able to read. It refers you to website sunncomm.com/support/sonybmg which says "Apple's proprietary technology doesn't support secure music formats other than their own, and therefore the secure music file formats on this disc can't be directly imported into iTunes." I tried it and it imported just fine.

So my only beef is with the packaging. I managed to get this one open with a paperclip along with spine, but I still find it very awkward.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Doctor Q said:
As a matter of fact, I was trying to open the new [playListId=68615813]Foo Fighters CD[/playListId]. The CD comes with warnings that "This CD is protected against unauthorized duplication" and "See system requirement on back". On the back, the requirements are in 2-point type, which many people won't be able to read. It refers you to website sunncomm.com/support/sonybmg which says "Apple's proprietary technology doesn't support secure music formats other than their own, and therefore the secure music file formats on this disc can't be directly imported into iTunes." I tried it and it imported just fine.

So my only beef is with the packaging. I managed to get this one open with a paperclip along with spine, but I still find it very awkward.
Its because you have a Mac. On Windows, you can't. Funny how they don't count Macs or Linux as Computers and just use the general term Computers to mean Windows.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Doctor Q said:

Wonder if this is legal? Because of the small type, if one could not read this into their iPod - would the store or label be required to refund the purchase price?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
WinterMute said:
I run my thumbnail down the seam between the lid and the grey plastic hinge, just above where the lid hinges, then it comes off really easily...
Exactly what I do, except I use a key as my chronically bitten fingernails just aren't up to the job. I just can't seem to get them open any other way.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Doctor Q said:
Am I the only person in the world who has no ability whatsoever to get the shrinkwrap off an audio CD?
I have trouble with it (and with games that come in similar packaging). I finally just procured a nice X-Acto™ knife to take care of the situation. Just stick the blade into the spot between the spine and the movable cover, a quick pull, and it's open!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I think everyone suffers from the problematic shrinkwrapping.

Except thieves. They can open shrink wrapping silently and covertly in a shop to take out the magnetic security tag.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
stridey said:
If you zip one of the bumpy edges of the CD (top or bottom) against a hard corner, the plastic wrap will slice open, allowing you access to the CD.
This is the best way I've found to open a CD.

Now, DVDs with their stipud anti-theft system are another story. :mad:

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
I don't have a problem removing the shrinkwrap, but it invariably takes me 10 minutes to remove the sticky label containing the title and barcode that's usually found on the top of North American CDs. How do you guys put up with that?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Brize said:
I don't have a problem removing the shrinkwrap, but it invariably takes me 10 minutes to remove the sticky label containing the title and barcode that's usually found on the top of North American CDs. How do you guys put up with that?
Same with me, they always rip in the middle of the tearing like 100 times and frustrate the hell out of me! :mad: Damn security protection. They should make those seals like the DVD ones, they never rip.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
rockthecasbah said:
Same with me, they always rip in the middle of the tearing like 100 times and frustrate the hell out of me! :mad: Damn security protection. They should make those seals like the DVD ones, they never rip.
I didn't realise that they're security seals. Most of the CDs I buy from the states have a separate security device under the tray, with the label across the top presumably meant for easy browsing through CD racks at the store.

As you say, they always come off in pieces, and it takes ages to remove them fully. I've also found the DVD labels to be far better, although I've had a few where they've got stuck to the top of the inner sleeve and therefore ripped a layer of print from the artwork upon removal.

I wish they'd just do away with them.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Brize said:
I didn't realise that they're security seals.
It's to make it more difficult for the kids to take the CDs and leave the cases.

As you say, they always come off in pieces, and it takes ages to remove them fully.
Try this: Pop the bottom of the case out of the hinge and open it vertically (so that the sticker is the "pivot" point). I manage to get the entire label off in one piece with little to no issue.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
ChrisBrightwell said:
It's to make it more difficult for the kids to take the CDs and leave the cases.
Makes sense.

Try this: Pop the bottom of the case out of the hinge and open it vertically (so that the sticker is the "pivot" point). I manage to get the entire label off in one piece with little to no issue.
I'll give that a try -- many thanks.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
ChrisBrightwell said:

My brother-in-law runs a progressive rock/metal CD store out of his basement. His is a small shop and deals with unusual music, so he usually only gets a single copy of titles. He routinely opens CD's like this to review them for his clientele, then closes them back up.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
powermac666 said:
My brother-in-law runs a progressive rock/metal CD store out of his basement. His is a small shop and deals with unusual music, so he usually only gets a single copy of titles. He routinely opens CD's like this to review them for his clientele, then closes them back up.
Blockbuster Music did it when they did the, "Listen to any CD in the store!" deal. That's where I picked it up. :)

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
ChrisBrightwell said:
I first saw a record shop guy do this years ago. Since then, it's been cake opening up any new CDs I've acquired. Works like a charm!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The only part that really, really annoys me is the use of those little holographic stickers that tie the case closed (on the rightmost side of the case, if you hold it right-side-up) by a few companies. I think the stickers are designed to be one use, so that if they are tampered with, they cannot be placed back on the product. I *hate* those stickers, because they always leave a sticky residue on the jewel case....

But then again, iTunes is steadily replacing my purchasing, and now, when I do buy, I almost always buy used on Amazon, because most CDs can be had there for ~$8 shipped. :D