Opening estimate for order volumes for Apple Watch at 250,000 per hour

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cogitodexter, Apr 25, 2015.

1. cogitodexter macrumors regular

cogitodexter

I ordered two Apple Watches almost immediately after pre-orders opened online and on the Apple Store iOS app. They arrived yesterday.

Having now received two invoices and knowing there was no more than a 10 second gap between the two orders, if invoices are numbered sequentially, taking the difference between them it's possible to deduce that orders were running at around 4500 per minute to start with.

If that's correct, then it's possible that maybe 1/4 million watches were ordered in the first hour alone.

Obviously there'd have been other orders for non-Watch based stuff mixed in there, but that still looks like a pretty good number.

Anyone else got figures for different times after pre-orders opened? You'll need to have ordered two or more watches separately and have had them delivered of course.

Just take the lower invoice number off the larger one, work out roughly how long it took you between ordering them and calculate from that an approximate order volume for the time your order went in...

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Hmm, thats a lot of assumption you have there friend.

My suggestion is to let the analyst that gets paid millions of dollars trading Apple stock do the work. They want the total number of sell as well. I suggest that you let the pro go at it. Numbers will come out soon.

Sit back and enjoy your watch. Or like myself, refresh the order page a few times a day hoping my June would change :rolleyes:

3. cogitodexter thread starter macrumors regular

cogitodexter

What evidence will these 'analysts' work on, do you think? Especially since Apple are supposedly not going to release specific numbers for the watch?

We hear from 'analysts' all the time, and most of the time they live in the realms of fantasy. At least I've got actual real live numbers!

4. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Look, I'm not saying you are wrong. Just saying that if you compare the order numbers as you have suggested, you are assuming all orders are watches. What about people that order just a band in between orders.

What about cancel orders hours later? There are so much assumptions that you won't get the real number.

5. cogitodexter thread starter macrumors regular

cogitodexter

Cancelled orders wouldn't result in an invoice number.

6. adm58 macrumors regular

Order numbers are not sequential. Apple changed this years ago to prevent analysts from inferring sales. I ordered two watches about 50 seconds apart, and the later order had a lower number (lower by about 79 million.)

Edit: Nevermind, I assume invoice numbers are different than order numbers..?