OpenOffice vs. NeoOffice…

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fishrrman, May 25, 2010.

1. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OpenOffice vs. NeoOffice…

I've reached the point where I think it's time to finally wean myself from Classic applications (and data file formats) that I currently use on my old PowerMac g4 (still running 10.3.9).

I have both a white intel iMac and a new MacBook Pro which (of course) don't run Classic (at least not without a lot of haggling with Sheepshaver, etc.), and the g4 is 6+ years old and can't last forever.

I'm looking at iWork but it looks like a mess compared to AppleWorks, which I've used for years (I also still use an OLD copy of Microsoft Works running under Classic to maintain some databases that go as far back as 1987!). And iWork doesn't even contain a database module (granted, Filemaker Pro exists for that -- but for my usage, it's overkill).

I've downloaded and am experimenting with both OpenOffice and NeoOffice. They look very similar.

I was wondering if folks might offer their own experiences of one versus the other? Any compelling reason to stick with one?

Thanks,
    - John

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

NeoOffice, being a port of OpenOffice.org, always lagged, but used to have the advantage of the native Mac user interface (instead of X11). Now OpenOffice.org has a native user interface I see no reason to use NeoOffice.

4. Queso macrumors G4

NeoOffice still offers better integration with OSX, and has better graphics layout handling on the Mac version. Yes, it lags slightly behind OpenOffice in terms of code, but both suites have their uses.

^^^And their fanboys ;)

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I have used both for the past two years. OpenOffice is much improved (now finally handling Hebrew properly on the Mac), but NeoOffice is still much more stable. If I have a document that I need to work on without worrying about what will happen, NeoOffice is my choice. And yes, I support NeoOffice with donations. It is worth it to me.

6. magilla macrumors regular

Just happen to notice your post after all these years. Just transitioning now to OS X from my old PM8600 w/G4 aftermarket processor card running OS 9.2 (still runs like a champ after all these years).

Have used AppleWorks 5 for years and honestly don't think anything else comes close to it.

How did you make out with iWork (Page)? I've read a couple of threads that seem to make me believe that I should hunt for a copy that will run both on an iMac G5 (pre Intel) and a newer iMac Core i3 but that's never gonna happen - will have to get separate copies for each machine.

So how do you feel about iWork (Page) as a WP app?

Thanks.