Operating System for Web Hosting?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RSedan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. RSedan macrumors newbie

I'm trying to start a small business and am about to buy a domain. it's asking me if my operating system is Linux / Windows.

I'm pretty sure that I'm neither, but I could be completely wrong. Help?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is this going to be hosted on a Mac? If so, select Linux if those are your only options. Mac OS X is more like Linux than it is to Windows because of its UNIX heritage.

3. RSedan thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, i'll be using my mac to run my site (if that's what you mean) do you know if there are any complications that i may run into by doing this?

4. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Actually, Mac OS X is similar to BSD style UNIX which goes back to the roots of original Bell Labs UNIX. Linux, although similar to BSD is a re-write and different OS compared to BSD which is the TRUE descendent of real UNIX.

Before Linus Torvalds there was NO LINUX.

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Most of websites are hosted on a linux server running apache. Go this route to get the best support.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I used the word heritage to show that they have roots in the UNIX world. Even if the Linix roots were never a part of the UNIX tree. It's overall command set and design is similar enough for it to be designated a *NIX OS, just like Mac OS X.

7. RSedan thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't know what all of those things mean :confused: ......so does this mean i should chose linux, or chose a different site to buy a domain??

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

^

'Linux' would be the best choice between the two, given OS X's Unix breeding.

HOWEVER...You're not going to want to hear this, but from what I've seen thus far in this thrad, you ought to look into hiring a consultant or an IT guy with background in web design/management. It shouldn't much matter when one is simply registering the domain, but you should have somebody who knows what they're doing set up a LAMP server for you. It will most likely save you a lot of pain down the road if you get off on the right foot with somebody who knows what they're doing to guide you.

9. dhruvpatel macrumors newbie

dhruvpatel

Choose linux, if you have to choose. But I never get this type of question while buying a domain.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

OS-X Server uses Apache for web hosting, but as others have mentioned, it shouldn't matter with regard to buying the domain name. Perhaps they're asking so they can provide some setup guidance. Also, many people register a domain and have a 3rd party host it.

Regardless, and as another poster pointed out, setting up your own host properly requires at least a minimum amount of research and education.

For instance, are you hosting your own DNS and mail service? Will you need a static IP? (You would need to get that setup through your ISP, and it would be easier to have the IP when you go and register the domain.)

There are some important security issues that you need to be aware of (I don't know the current ML Server defaults as I'm running an older version). In light of recent DDOS attacks exploiting recursive DNS, it's very important to have that configured correctly (normally only allowing recursion for the local network).

I would also recommend using a different Mac for your server than your daily work machine. You'll also need to think about whether you are going to use the Mac server itself as a gateway or setup your router so the server can be accessed from the Internet, the latter probably being the better way to go.

(I got used to having the machine be the gateway because of lower cost at the time. It was a 1998-ish, home build PC running Linux. In ’03 I switched to a B & W Power Mac running 10.2 server - and it's been running virtually 24/7 since then. Gettin' ready to upgrade it to a G4 so I can run 10.5 server. I don't have much traffic except for some email, so I don't need much horsepower. I'm only upgrading to run more current software and provide me with more up-to-date security and anti-spam options. I'd rather my bucks go into my day to day machine - just upgraded in Feb to the rMBP in my sig. Sorry for the rambling and wandering off-topic..must be the late/early hour :eek: )