Operation System Crash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Plain Dealer

Of course, I think the Plain Dealer's editorial writers have got the gist of what's going on here:

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Gotta love that freedom of information act.

So, what's wrong with keeping hot, fresh coffee in the office?

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I know! If you coffee isn't both hot and fresh, a steaming, rich black testimony to the freedom of God's land, to the great soaring bald eagle and the stars and stripes, it's warmth as great as the rocket's red flare, the flavours as deep and true as the red white and blue, if your coffee doesn't scream to all the world "this is America, home of the free!", well sir, then the terr'ists have won.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sheesh, this one's easy. All you do is say that your email records have been lost, but that you will put your crack team of tube-fixers on the problem, and will report back with your findings sometime in 2009.

Problem solved.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe you missed the part about the fact that they're only going after the Dems. Or you didn't and you don't care. Also wondering why you don't seem to be so happy when the other side is trying to use the Freedom of Information Act for more legitimate things and you say the gov shouldn't have to provide anything.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What do you mean? This memo fragment might as well been Xeroxed out of the playbook of any political party or organization. Looks like boilerplate strategy to me.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And that makes it ok (when either side pulls this) how?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It doesn't. You should know by now that he's just baiting you. He actually thinks these tactics are OK when used by both sides, but rejoices loudest when his side uses them. You should also know by now that Swarmlord has maybe only a half an ounce of principle in his body. Oh wait no, he does have one principle: that which benefits him is good. Wait- there's another: The ends justify the means.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's why they call it politics. Politicians stop playing fair within the boundaries of the law when they get out of grammar school. Sometimes they cross the boundaries or the law and then they should be dinged for it. Otherwise all is fair in love and war...and politics.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unless it's an ad in a newspaper, eh?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Again, and this makes it ok how?

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I don't think this is over stressing the system. One of the office holders just took 10 days and sent all the uncensored emails straight to the requester, electronically. The others are trying to print it all out and are estimating 1.5 man years to do so, charging thousands of dollars for paper. The only reason for this would be, that they are altering them in some way.

Any idiot gopher can filter out emails in outlook and export them. What is the problem here?

We are having a problem with our local gov't here. They just say "screw you" to all email requests. There is no internal mail system to handle offical memos, its all email. Its our right to know about them.

This isn't about politics here, its about open gov't. My local guys are mostly republican if you're wondering.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And there's a difference between politics and pure defamation of character. Giving a sweetheart price for the ad stunk to high heaven also.

If you think they're the same, then I can't help you.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

There are a lot of things in this world that aren't "ok" that still don't warrant outrage on my part. They just are.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't they pay regular price? It was Rudy that requested a better deal for his ad. Guess you forgot that part. Maybe you can actually post a link this time. Preferably from a reputable place.

In other words, it's ok if they're Republicans.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me? The swiftboat ads were what exactly?

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No they didn't. They may have been forced to pay the regular rate after this fact surfaced.

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What were they? I thought they were ads taken out by some guys that served with Senator Kerry during the war. Don't they have the right to say what they think of him without resorting to name calling?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

"Liar" isn't a very nice name to call someone, which is what they did in a roundabout way. And I'm sorry, but MoveOn has a right to say what they want as well. And the thing is- they're probably right.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LMAO! "It's all fair" until someone goes after a Republican eh? Then cries of "it's not fair" reach the heavens. Too funny.

The Swift Boat attacks on John Kerry were pure defamation of character. Besides, any attack on a soldier is considered an attack on the troops, right?

So it's ok to say what you think of someone if you're a Republican criticizing a Democrat. It's not ok to say what you think of someone if you're a Democrat criticizing a Republican.

Glad we got that little bit of hypocrisy cleared up.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Let's see...they were there and Kerry was there. Each had a different perspective on what happened and stated it. Where's the defamation of character?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

By the same logic... MoveOn.org is here. General Petraus is here. Each has a different perspective on what happened and stated it. Where's the defamation of character?

Face it, you're stuck in a situation where the only out is arguing that it's OK if you're a Republican.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They paid the standby rate. When people threw a hissy fit, the editor billed them for the higher rate because the NYT didn't want to look biased, so they paid it. Rudy asked for the lowered rate, and continued to want it, even though he didn't want to wait on standby, and never was asked or even offered to pay full rate.

The ads were taken out by a PAC, using people that didn't actually serve with Kerry and weren't actually there during the times he was injured. In fact, those that were there disputed the stories the Swift Boaters told. That's why it's a universal term for lying to attack a political figure. Since Moveon didn't lie (though I will admit it was a smear, and for the record I don't like Kerry), not exactly the same thing.

But yeah, it's ok if you're a Republican I guess.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Times is a private company, and as such, is free to charge whatever it wants to whomever it wants.

Now of course you can argue that it shows their political bias, but how is that any different from ClearChannel showing their bias in refusing to run the VoteVets ad against Rush Limbaugh in Limbaugh's time slot and in his home market?

Of course it's only bad when a liberal does it. Right? It's ok, you can admit it.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Do you even have to ask anymore?