[Opinion Article] Wake-up Apple, the iPhone is a yawn!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prof., Jul 8, 2012.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Link

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I yawned through his whole article so I guess we're in the same boat. He's bored with iPhones and i'm bored with uninspired writing.

3. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Basically, the iPhone used to be ahead of its time and the competition couldn't compete. Now, here we are 5 years later and the competition (primarily Google) has caught up and offers the same (better?) features than the iPhone. The article also talks about the next advancement of computer technology. i.e. Google Glass.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

So, in other words, the same old blah, blah, blah that has been regurgitated here in the iPhone forum for months now?

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think now more than ever it's clear what you'll get from each platform. You just have to make the decision that suits your preferences. It is okay to say the iPhone isn't ideal anymore, just like it's okay to say it still does what you want best.

6. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

There will always be someone out there claiming that Apple's ideas are old and behind the curb, and the next tends to be as wrong as the last.

That said, everyone should expect the 'wow' factor of all smartphone updates to start fading as the platform matures from revolutionary (the iPhone introduction) to evolutionary (today's polishing of a platform which is becoming established).

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I wish Google would release their dinky Googles already so it can fail and I can stop hearing about it.

8. SR45, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I want the iPhone 5 to be mature, and functional phone for me in what I do, and not just keep up with the others as has been ranted about by Android users that lurk on this forum.

The iPhone 4S is the right size for me, but a 4 inches will do just fine with the new mapping apps/improved Siri coming out from Apple. Wider phones are a no go for me (Not as comfortable), so those Android trolls that continue to think that Apple has to match what you demand or have on those Android phones, don't know Apple well at all. They are company that does not cater to the fanatics, but to the larger masses if one has not a clue by just watching them over the years.

The next iPhone 5 coming out later will sell many, and many others will just cry, complain, rant, and troll as they always have, but Apple will not care about them. :D Neither will I ;)

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If you want artificially injected excitement in your life, take up rock climbing or something.

When it comes to operating systems you want your OS to be mature and out of the way.

10. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I can understand people who contend that an operating system like Android is more feature rich or flexible or whatnot than iOS, but those that think a phone OS can be 'boring' need to get their ass to a bar and get laid asap. These people have completely lost focus.

11. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I think Apple's predictable release dates have allowed the competition to release devices ahead of Apple's schedule to cannibalize sales.

The iP4S feels boring as **** because all these other phones have been released with much better specs. Let's see what the iP5 has to offer... in 2 months or three..

12. nuckinfutz, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

This article is nothing more than a microcosm of life.

You can replace smartphones in this article with any other technology and the result is the same. Technological shifts are like tectonic plates..shifting and changing the landscape.

Apple created the shift with the iPhone. At that time phones without physical keyboards were novelty. Web browsing was poor on many.

Today...if it wasn't for size I'd hardly be able to tell the difference between smartphones. Things are settling in now and what was once revolutionary is now mundane and the natives get restless. But tectonic shifts don't happen every year ...things must settle in.

Basically these arguments are rooted in the fallacy that large shifts should happen every year and from a particular company even, and that smacks of an inability to really look at the whole computing landscape and understand the movements being made.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

What exactly is so "wow" about the competition? I get that Android is much more customizable out of the box than iOS, and for those where that is important then by all means buy into Google's platform. But outside of the customization argument, what is the big deal advantage to using Android?

I've heard some of the usual points ("true" multi-tasking, using it as a USB storage device, NFC, ability to install apps from multiple sources, live wallpapers, expandable storage), and honestly I don't really see the need for any of it. I get that there is a "to each their own" element to this argument, but folks that talk about those features as being what makes Android great never seem to take into account that most users don't need or really even want any of it.

A lot of people are jumping on board to look down their nose at iOS after WWDC and in the same breath claim that the improvements announced for Jelly Bean at I/O are a bold step forward. I do agree that 4.1 is going to be worlds better than 4.0. But to knock Apple for finally adding Facebook integration or finally adding turn by turn to iOS and in the same thought praise Google for things like Project Butter seems a little absurd. Project Butter was a necessity because ICS (which still only runs on about 10% of Android devices) was/is a choppy mess. Everyone seems to overlook that little tidbit. Kudos to Google for finally taking steps to enhance the user experience from that standpoint, but it's funny that I don't believe I've seen a single article that talks about how Google has finally smoothed out the fluidity of the GUI.

You have to wonder though how these smartphone wars will look in a couple of years. As more and more people buy into a particular ecosystem the choice about what phone we use becomes less and less about what device is best at the time and more about what brand it is. If you've got several hundred or even thousands of dollars tied up in apps purchased through the App Store or Google Play, it is going to be hard to justify picking up and moving to another platform.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Good points. I think it's about selling a platform now more than ever.

15. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

The media/blogs has learned how to maximize clicks, I'm sure an article about the iPhone (especially a negative one) would generate much more revenue than an article about "Project Butter" which no one in the general public has heard of.

16. nefan65, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012

nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Bad reference from a bad movie. Then again, coming from you, its to be expected.

17. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Yawn, Yawn. This same rambling nonsense could (and has) been written by the legion of fAndroid trolls we have here.

iPhone 5 will once again redefine the modern smartphone and platform, and it will break all sales records (again).

18. matttye macrumors 601

The iPhone hasn't done that since the first one :p

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Silly blog states obvious ... how profound.

What a fluffy article. Of course Apple is not clearly in the lead anymore with the iPhone. It takes so much more to demonstrate that something can be successful than it does to emulate it (and then tweak the emulation), as Google has done. What will happen now is that neither Google and Apple will be able to create a clear technological lead, because they're all working with the same or very similar chips. Thus, they will differentiate their phones based on the user experience, which is the only thing that sane users care about.

20. matttye macrumors 601

The entire jelly bean update is about improving the user experience on Android, so Googles obviously heading in the right direction.

21. Indy21 macrumors 6502

"What more do you want out of the iPhone?"

Pretty much sums it up.

And glasses idea, like the google glass, are the next direction our mobile devices will take I think.

5 years ago, when the iPhone first came around, it felt like a true gamechanger, I felt this will be HUGE! And look where we are now, the majority of people carry smartphones for daily computing use, more specifically "touchscreen" devices, thanks to Apple.

Mark my word, once they pin down the whole glasses concept deal...thing, it's going to really take off.

I'm already daydreaming, lol, having glasses that are so light and un-intrusive to the world around you but having all the capabilities of your modern day smartphone at the blink of an eye!...awesome!

Oh and I'm gonna want a waterproof pair please. Don't want to ruin my glasses from rain, diving or sweat while working out.

Sign me up!:D

22. luked14 macrumors 6502

One of Apple's biggest challenges for the future of the iPhone is the discrepancy between the hardware and software designs. Ive and Forstall have very different approaches to their respective fields of work, and it doesn't seem that they ever work together. Since SJ is no longer around to mediate and make the final call, future development of the iPhone will be very different. Apple could have a lot of trouble with this, or they could overcome it. Only time well tell.

Android is making the huge strides that Apple never had to make. As a platform, it will likely reach a point of maturity just like the iPhone has already done in a shorter amount of time. Performance wise, Android 4.1 seems right on par, if not ahead, of iOS 6.

Windows also shows a lot of promise but is a bit behind the others in terms of apps, so it might take a few more years to mature.

RIP RIM.

23. buddgeez macrumors member

Coming from a galaxy s2 to and 4S, it seems iPhone fans really dont care about all these features. I only came to ios for the apps. But it seems with every new iPhone there are big lines outside of apple stores all over. Even the small update from the 4 to 4S every one complained how the 4s wasn't good enough, but yet everyone had there behinds lined up waiting for it. So it seems to me iPhone fans dont really care for nfc, or LTE, or all of the features that jelly beam has.