Opinion needed on late 15in 2013 rMBP and upgrade to 15in 2015 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nealh, Jun 7, 2015.

1. nealh macrumors 6502

I currently own and love my 15in Late 2013 rMBP with 2.6ghz Haswell with 1TB SSD and 750M.
    My wife wants a laptop. She likes the 15in model's size. She offered to take my laptop and allow me to have the newer version.
    I would likely get the 2015 15in 2.8ghz with 512gb and AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

Any opinions on whether I would feel much of the upgrade? I have not used the new force touchpad, so not sure if that's a plus or a minus.

I am curious if anyone else may have done a similar upgrade and was their experience good.
    I can go to a less expensive 15in model for her and even refurb.

Here's the other issue--
    I know its a long shot but my son's 13in rMBP developed what appears to a screen issue(I wish it were a video issue) but he opened it yesterday and the screen has the look of a characteristic LCD crack with no glass damage. I have applecare on it. I realize they won't cover this probably. But I was hoping to offer the manager if they cover it I will purchase a new laptop with applecare maybe they will have a soft heart.

If Apple does nothing, I will have the screen repaired on the 13in and go refurb for my wife.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

2. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502

ZombiePhysicist

I just got the maxed out 15" with 370x. I doubt you'll appreciate the speed bump. Basically same thing. I needed it for work, so it is what it is. Other than if you have a need for a 5k screen, i'd save your money and wait for the next update, which will be more substantial.

Force touch is nice, but not worth the high price of entry IMO. YMMV.

3. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I just sold mine. It was a Late 2013 rMBP 15" 2.3ghz, 16GB, 1TB & 750M. I replaced it with the 2.5ghz, 16gb, 512gb, 370X. I would keep what you have now. I loved the old one and this new one, but I haven't noticed much of difference. The only thing that I noticed was the apps opening a little faster. That's it. I really wanted to feel blown away, but I wasn't.

The only reason why I upgraded was to upgrade now, and sell the old one at the highest resell between now and when Skylake comes out. It would be easier to sell this 2015 rMBP than the 2013 version.

4. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So, lol. You will feel a difference depending on what you are doing.

Lets first get CPU power out of the way. You'll get 200 more MHz. This is a small difference, really only about 8% gain. Things that are very CPU intensive will work slightly better, but only about 8% better.

Next is the GPU. The m370x is 80% faster than the 750m. So if you do graphical tasks or gamez, you will notice a good jump in performance. People have reported getting 20-25 FPS on retina with Diablo 3 on the 750m but their new one gets 30-35FPS.

The last three things are the SSD, Force Touch, and Battery. The SSD is 2.5x faster than your current MBP. That's a big jump. However the one you have is already very fast. You will notice faster boots, wake from sleep, apps starting quicker. But again it may not feel as big as it actually is due to the fact the one you have is already fast. The Force Touch is very cool, I like it a lot. it feels natural and I didn't even realize it wasn't clicking at all until someone pointed it out to me lol. Its not a selling point yet though as most apps don't support its new click. Lastly the Battery will provide you with one more hour of life.

Having said all this, Will the difference be huge? No. Will it be noticeable, yes. But if she wants one, I would just get this, give her your old one, and check it out. Sounds like your getting a new one either way and this one is very good.

5. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

This is EXACTLY the same reason why I sold my 2012 rMBP 15" and bought the 2.5ghz 2015 model. (Though, at least in my case, there are some noticeable differences in speed, battery life and wi-fi.)