Opinion of the omega 500GB UltraMax ExHDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i4k20c, Nov 18, 2007.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

It was between this hdd, and the OWC FW hard drive, and I think i want to go with the Omega because i have a $50 apple gift card.

I have a few questions though, does anyone know if:
    1. What hdd is used inside the enclosure?
    2. If it has a fan or is whisper silent?
    3. Does this ext. HDD go to sleep (or whines down) when there has been no activity?
    4. What is the little slit in the front of the drive?
    5. Can I have 3 partitions, One for Time Machine, One for Other Mac OS files that i want, and than one more in Fat32 or whatever that would allow me to backup my windows computer at home?
    4. Any other comments about the choice?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=85A10F4B&fnode=home&nplm=TP946LL/A

http://www.iomega.com/direct/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=52194291&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=55978377&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=26890319&bmUID=1195422761017

[​IMG]

Thank You For any Help.

2. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

1. What hdd is used inside the enclosure?
    This depends - but there are only 4 manufacturers for 3.5" drives: Seagate (who owns Maxtor, so Maxtor is the same thing, they just brand them now in a different way), Western Digital, Samsung or Hitachi. Stuff I've read on Amazon says Iomega typically uses WD hard drives.

2. If it has a fan or is whisper silent?

This unit is fanless - it has an aluminum case and grating vents to dissipate heat. If you are worried about it getting too hot, if you put it near a place that is blowing air, it will cool down.

3. Does this ext. HDD go to sleep (or whines down) when there has been no activity?

Probably - but you'd have to ask Iomega.

4. What is the little slit in the front of the drive?

That's the indicator light. It's probably blue.

5. Can I have 3 partitions, One for Time Machine, One for Other Mac OS files that i want, and than one more in Fat32 or whatever that would allow me to backup my windows computer at home?

This is an Intel Mac, right? You should be fine with 3 partitions. Also consider getting MacDrive for your Windows computer so that you can read/write from your Mac drive, if you want to avoid having an extra partition.

4. Any other comments about the choice?

Very snazzy looking drive! I just ordered a similar looking Fantom drive myself.

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

thank you for the help!

the partition would be for a power pc mac and a PIII windows computer..would that be alright? :eek: