Opinion on Alaska's future

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Nov 10, 2010.

?

In your opinion, what do you think about Alaska becoming a nation?

1. Yes, do it

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Yes, but it's probably not legal or unclear

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. No, it's a bad idea altogether

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. No, but it's a good idea but not an issue because seceding is simply illegal

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Who cares?

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. 63dot, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I was wondering what you thought about the constant talk about Alaska one day becoming a separate nation.

The Alaska Independence Party has held a close relationship with Senator Lisa Murkowski and her father, a former Alaska politician. Oddly, a Murkowski opponent, Todd Palin allegedly had ties to this group which has some members who like the idea of Alaska seceding from the United States.

Sarah Palin denies it and though I don't usually agree with her, I believe her and her intentions of promising Alaska to stay with the United States. How else could she run in 2012, if Alaska became independent, other than the state becoming a US territory again?

Anyway, should Alaska secede if they want? Is it legal? There are legal precedents on each side, where the American concept of taxation without representation is an obvious green flag for seceding, as the AIP claims may be the case.

Thoughts?

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I've always enjoyed reading Tom Woods' thoughts on this particular topic. A lot of great history lessons whenever he gets in front of a crowd. Clearly Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln didn't quite see eye to eye on this particular topic. ;)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I resent that comment, since I know all 12 people who live there! ;)

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

If Alaska wants to break loose, more power to them.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Just looking at this poll so far, and Googling the topic, that's the consensus of most people. ;)

8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I don't know, it would DEFINITELY be a huge deal. It would be a horrible loss for the U.S. and a horrible loss for Alaska. It's obviously a horrible idea in general, but whether it's legal or not is a different issue all together. I think with the amount of power that's been taken away from the states, threats of secession are one of a few tools they can still use as at least a verbal weapon to help keep the Federal government in line.

9. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I think the Civil War proved states CANNOT secede. The federal government will not let it happen, with force if need be.

I'm against Alaska seceding (theoretically) because I like having 50 states. It's easy to calculate things like 60/40 majorities and 2/3 majorities in the Senate when you have 100 to work with. :p

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If Mongolia can manage it, why not Alaska?

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Actually when Sarah Palin become Prez she will move DC to AK.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What happens if Puerto Rico gains statehood?

13. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Drop Alaska on its ass? :D

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That could be a good thing. Imagine how much it would reduce the ranks of aspiring public officials if they knew they would have to spend the work week in Nome. But at least they could keep an eye on those devious russkies.

15. Eraserhead, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good question. I did some research on Wikipedia.

Basically Mongolia is a buffer state between Russia and China and can get aid from both (so for example the only paved road in the country between China and Russia was paid for by them), and because its prepared to accept that development will be concentrated around Ulan Bator (which is a substantial settlement with a population of over 1 million) and the north south strip between Russia and China.

Everyone else in the country makes their living out of subsistence herding Mongolia's large amount of land (source).

I doubt the average Alaskan would accept that.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't let the door hit you on the ass, Alaska. Buh-bye!

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It would be bad for all parties involved. Alaska does not have the money and population to really afford to do what it needs to get done for the people. For the US we would loss a huge amount of natural resources.

I find it distubing that a lot of people here are fine with states leaving that they do not agree with.

What would happen if people of CA what to succeed.
    Texas it seems people have no problem with because they do not agree with it.
    I have seem people that say the south should leave. Yet Dems have found out abandoning the south hurts them all over. It found that when the Dems leave the south the party goes to far left and it hurts them in the north.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If those people would stop being a**holes, maybe we wouldn't be OK with them leaving. They hurt a lot of people for no reason other than their prejudice.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've decided I like ALaska and we should keep them. :D

Seriously, they just elected a write-in candidate for senate. Gives me hope that it can be done elsewhere. We need to start electing people up to the task of dealing with the issues and not just fighting for ideology. That applies to both sides.

20. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

This has zero chance due to one thing: oil.

If Alaska didn't have that, then I would say let them go. Then after 2 months or so we could invade them and make them work like dogs to pay for their insolence.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

as I said it disturbing that people here have no problem with people leaving if they do not agree with them.
    I have see prejudice from people here about anyone of religious faith (weather or not they are prejudice against gays for example)

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The idea that a state should be allowed to secede because they disagree with the current, freely elected administration is ridiculous. Alaska wouldn't have a military leg to stand on anyway and 5 minutes after they secede Sarah Palin will not only be able to see Russia from her house--she'll be living in it.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Rodimus, it seems that the states always talking about secession are the Southern ones. Your own governor said as much himself. If the South wants to go, please-by all means feel free. The rest of us will continue on into the future and make progress much more quickly.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You forget something. That would never fly with the UN. and chance are the US army would not let it happen. Unless you want to try to explain some other countries that have zero military leg to stand on not being invaded currently.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And as I pointed out before from Texas that is all talk. Just people in the north do not get it.
    Also I do not like Perry yet you lump me in with those people. I voted against him.

So you are telling me that the minority (loud minority but still minority) speak for all of us.
    Who is prejudice now? You lump people who live in the south seem to be automatically in with that group.

Dem abandon the south in the last election and it cost them dearly even in the north. It has been pointed out that Dems abandon the south the party tends to go to far left and it cost them a lot in the north as well.