Opinions about whether I should get the 16gb or 32gb iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chumber, Jun 22, 2011.

1. chumber macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey guys. I'm thinking about buying an iPad to bring back and forth to work to watch movies and play games. I will only have 4 or 5 movies in it at a time and no music since I use my iPhone for that. Do you think a 16gb iPad will be good enough? I'm kind of tight in cash. Looking forward to your opinions.

2. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Yea, 16g could work - however, I just exchanged my 16g for a 32g, because $100 is a small price to pay for double the space.. .

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

+1 i was in the same situation when i got mine except i never did the return part, i just decided that it wasn't worth having to plan things like i do with my iphone for the sake of the price difference.

also OP, have you considered if you get into downloading apps/games? some of them can be quite large and you're not gonna want to lose all you save game data for the sake of a movie.

4. taipan61 macrumors 6502

go with what you can comfortably afford, the more is better theory is nice but not at the cost of financial happiness

5. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

A lot depends on the apps that you install, and especially on the movies that you have stored at a given time. I have 81 apps installed and I have 9.1GB still free on my 16GB iPad.

Keep in mind that an HD movie can be quite large. 4-5 movies might be a tight fit, depending on the quality of the encode and the length of the movie. Take a look at the file sizes of your videos ad see where they range. Of course, if you are already committed to syncing frequently, maybe having 2-3 movies at a time isn't much different from having 4-5...

6. FilipH macrumors regular

My ipad 1 was 64 GB, and my ipad 2 is now 16 GB. I use quite a few apps, and put a couple of movies on it when needed. 16 GB to my surprise is more then enough. I would save the 100$ and buy a nice cover with this money instead.

7. Itxdjx macrumors member

If your good with syncing and keep everything orderly then a 16GB will be enough, but if you could afford the 32 it just give you room to work but I do nt believe 16 will be a let down!

If your strapped for cash I'm assuming you'll be looking for an iPad 1? Cause you could prob get a good Deal on a recurs or even on craigslist.

8. Syk macrumors 6502a

I bought the 16GB iPad2. I have a 16GB iphone. I figure if I wanted music I'd use my phone and store a few movies on the iPad plus I have netflix and crackle. I'm not one to store & carry around 10,000 songs, 5+ movies nor do I need them to be in hi def, it would be mostly for being on a plane or in a car to pass time, my hi def stuff is for my big screen tv. I just put enough on there depending on the length of my trip but with Pandora I really have all the music I need also with places like drop box and the cloud, you can store a few things there.

If you're tight on cash buy the 16GB

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Always go bigger, imo

After months with my iPad, I started adding more TV shows, music, etc....

10. xxstatic macrumors member

When I bought my iPad 1 I got the 64gb because I thought I would need all of that space, after dumping everything I own on it I didn't even take up half the space available.
    I just recently sold the 1 and picked up a 16gb 2, I figured I do not need all of the onboard space, I basically put what I will need on it, I am very happy with it. :)

11. skillz1318 macrumors regular

I had a 32gb iPhone 4 and hardly used any space...so I went with the 16gb iPad and it's more than enough. Most of my music I listen to via pandora or XM and most movies I watch via Netflix.

When I travel and won't have internet access (etc. on a place) I will throw a few albums on there and 4-5 movies and I still have plenty of space to spare. I saved the $100 and bought a nice cover.

12. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Go for 32.
    My 1st iPad I had for over a year was 16 and no real problem. However, I now keep more movies and some music on my new one and overall I am pleased I went with the 32.
    Some of the newer apps can be quite large so for piece of mind go with the 32.
    I also got 3g on this one aswell and I think it is the ideal configuration.
    Not cheap but definitely worth it.

13. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

If you have the $ and can afford the 32, I say go for it. You cannot memory to it later and may eventually regret getting a 16g.

Also, you may just toss a bunch of your music on it anyway. While not anything extraordinary, the built in speaker ain't bad and the iPad can act as a stand-alone "radio" that you can hear pretty good. I used mine to play music when working at a house getting it ready to sell. I could hear it fine in all rooms on the floor I was on.

Mike

14. omicron macrumors member

I'd say 32GB. Remember that the OS is a little bigger and eats more space. I have 29GB usable. If the OS is 3GB large, then you will only have 13GB usable. An HD movie eats around 4GB and remember you're going to have apps on there.

Later on you might ask "what if..." if you got the 32GB you won't be asking that question :cool: