Opinions from those who go without their phone

Tarantularock

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
I have yet to be convinced to go for an apple watch, up until now I have always had an iphone and an ipad close by. Since the apple ipad pro and pencil have been released I bring them with me to work for my meetings & to take notes while the iphone sits on my desk or in my pocket. Aside from the camera I do not love my phone -it has become a distraction device. I would even consider going 100% sans phone if it were posible.

How many leave their old phone in a drawer these days?

Reactions: niji

Tarantularock

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
The Apple Watch requires an iPhone for it to work.
Yes, I know you need to connect it to a phone, but your saying you still have to take the phone out with you? the phone can't just be left on a dock at home 99% of the time?

Last edited:

mizzourah

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
with cellular, as long as the phone is on, you can do texting, phone calls, etc. with your watch and the phone can be anywhere as long as it's on.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
I have yet to be convinced to go for an apple watch, up until now I have always had an iphone and an ipad close by. Since the apple ipad pro and pencil have been released I bring them with me to work for my meetings & to take notes while the iphone sits on my desk or in my pocket. Aside from the camera I do not love my phone -it has become a distraction device. I would even consider going 100% sans phone if it were posible.

How many leave their old phone in a drawer these days?
i have ordered the new apple watch series 4.
i decided that it had developed enough features to allow me to be mobile and still receive / send all of the communications i need to while out on a day hike or whatever.
it not having a camera is its main drawback right now. (Im not complaining about lack of a camera in any wearable, just commenting that the lack of camera is the only feature that for me still wants me to at least have my iPhone in my backpack, albeit not pulling it out and using it unless i want to take a photo).
the watch has advanced so much with the combination of these latest models and iOS 12.
i felt it was time to invest in one.

so for me, i am going with the new watch and, have decided to get the iPhone Xs Max - using a huge phablet of an iPhone is not something that i thought would be for me. but the huge screen will enable me to sit quietly in coffee shops and be content, while using the watch as my main device while I'm moving.

i think apple deliberately paired watch advancement along with iphone size for this scenario.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think the Watch excels at minimizing the distractions of your phone. This has always been its strength, even prior to the cellular models. It is not, however, good enough for most people to leave their phones behind most of the time unless your needs are very light. It's great if you are going for a walk or run, etc not to have to take your phone, but the Watch is not great if you actually want to have an interactive device throughout the day. Responding to text messages is difficult for anything more than a couple of words, and responding by voice is often impractical or not appropriate. The cellular signal is much worse on the Watch than your phone, so you'll likely find many areas where it won't work. You can't pair a watch with most car audio systems for taking calls or streaming music, etc.

The Watch is at its best as a supplement to the phone. I choose to keep all devices muted, and only the most important notifications are allowed through to my Watch. This gets me the info I need while greatly reducing the distraction of the phone and the need to check every notification.

Tarantularock

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
i have ordered the new apple watch series 4.

so for me, i am going with the new watch and, have decided to get the iPhone Xs Max - using a huge phablet of an iPhone is not something that i thought would be for me. but the huge screen will enable me to sit quietly in coffee shops and be content, while using the watch as my main device while I'm moving.

i think apple deliberately paired watch advancement along with iphone size for this scenario.

Yes, This is about where I'm at, In fact it would be ideal for me to be able to pop a cellphone sim card into an LTE ipad and roll with just the ipad and the series 4. Has anyone tried doing that?, I'm not sure if it would work but crossing fingers as the new ipads get closer.
[doublepost=1537481259][/doublepost]
You can't pair a watch with most car audio systems for taking calls or streaming music, etc.
Thank you - This is good to know.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yes, This is about where I'm at, In fact it would be ideal for me to be able to pop a cellphone sim card into an LTE ipad and roll with just the ipad and the series 4. Has anyone tried doing that?, I'm not sure if it would work but crossing fingers as the new ipads get closer.
The Watch requires an iPhone to be paired to the Watch and the LTE on the Watch is tied to your iPhone's phone number at this time.

Dave

H1JJY

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2014
I do leave my phone at home now when going to the gym, even using AirPods to listen my music from it.

Also going out to the pub/bar with the lads or nice meal with the wife the phone stays at home.

The pros:
One less item to take out/carry.
No chance of losing, braking your phone or having it stolen.
The watch is less detracting the a phone.
No phone bulge if your wear tight or fitted clothes.

The Cons:
No camera
Most car radios won’t sync with it.
The reception can be poor with only using 4G

Reactions: Tarantularock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.