Opinions on current iPhone providers in NYC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rawdawg, Dec 17, 2011.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Hello all,

This has come up before but now that the dust has settled after the iPhone4s came out I want to see updated opinions. I live in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. I've had AT&T in NYC since the first gen iPhone. I absolutely hate them, constant dropped calls for me.

From what I understand the options at this time available are Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. Are there others I am missing?

I've heard Verizon is awesome. Does anyone with experience with Verizon or another provider have input to give as which one seems to work well? Also, for similar plans how do the costs differ?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Att is expensive and performs poorly.

Verizon is expensive and performs well.

Sprint is cheaper and performs better then att and nearly as well as vzw in most places.

I have used a lot of phones and carriers here in the city and I present this anecdotal post without malice to any carrier.

I have an att ipad here in my bag, a sprint Iphone in my pocket (and a 4g sprint phone in my bag) and a verizon iphone in my girlfriends purse across from me.

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Sprint is the worst service in NYC by a large margins and the above poster has no idea what he's talking about.

In terms of voice it goes:
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Sprint

In terms of data speed (3G) it goes:
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Sprint

AT&T and Verizon are priced very similarly. Sprint is the cheapest.

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I have used a Verizon iP4 for about a year now, and I must say. My family and I used to have AT&T iP3G and we hated them. 1 bar around the city, and everything. We then switched to Verizon. Got 3 iP4's and I must say, we have been much happier, OP you should make the switch. Sine AT&T has always been well BAD!

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback! Any more opinions on Sprint? I live in Brooklyn so maybe it's worse i some boroughs.

6. lam93 macrumors member

7. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm on Sprint near Newark and the times I've been in the Manhattan/Queens areas have been okay. But, data speeds on Sprint are pretty slow. Have you considered waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out in 2012? It's rumored to have LTE support, which should solve most of the "bad data speed" issues that people are talking about.

I think the URL to check coverage is network.sprint.com -- try putting your zipcode in and see if you have "Best" coverage.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020