Opinions on LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hakr100, Mar 4, 2014.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning to get one to use as a secondary backup device via Time Machine for my new iMac.

I want to use the Thunderbolt connection on the iMac. I've read some "horror stories" on the Lacie-supplied Thunderbolt cable (on Amazon) that apparently were heat related.

The drive can also be connected via USB 3, but I'm pretty much using all the USB ports on my iMac and I'd rather not use a USB hub for backup.

Does anyone have further info on the LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series with a 1 terabyte HDD or its cable? And if there is still a cable problem, I am sure I can use the Apple cable.

How about alternative Thunderbolt drives in this size from different vendors?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

You need the rugged enclosure for travel?

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Yes, any basic 2.5 enclosure like a USB3 WD passport will be just as fast or close. The problem is a hub issue, but for the money you'd spend on Tbolt, you could buy a hub and the drive.

If the concern is really speed, you can get a Firmtek U3 that goes really fast on the new macs and populate it with an SSD.

So far, thunderbolt is only useful if it's used for RAID. Every report I've read on single drive enclosures on TB is bad news on the speed department. It's either no faster or in most cases, slower than USB3 with a UASP or an ASmedia chip device. Many of the earlier devices for Thunderbolt were external drives with 5200 rpm drives and the Magic "Thunderbolt" Icon attached to sell the device. This is Pure BS IMO. Even a 7200 rpm drive in single mode will not exceed a decent USB3 external on a new Mac.

That said, if you must have any TB device and hate the idea of a Hub, the Lacie will serve you well. 9 of 10 times the cable is the only issue, but you can just buy another one and solve it.

Best

5. Reno Richter macrumors member

FrimTek are great products and super fast. I have 2 mini swap's with EVO 1TB SSD's inside them and using USB 3.0 they transfer nearly as fast as TB1 connected to my mid 2013 MBP. They are heavier then the LaCie rugged spinners I used to carry. Made of formed aluminum they drive the TSA crazy when I either carry them in my lap top bag or check them in my luggage when flying which I do a lot of. I assume it is the metal enclosure and the electronics inside that triggers TSA wanting to search my stuff. Never had a issue with my old FW800/USB2.0 Spinner LaCie rugged's with TSA.

6. hakkamukka macrumors newbie

Sounds good. I went to their website and they said it supports bus power. Can you confirm this is the case when you have the two SSDs in use? I hate power supplies/adapters :D