Opinions on monitor, Asus or Dell? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamIchi, May 26, 2009.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

2. nutritious macrumors 6502

At that price range, both will have TN panels and be pretty similar...go with whichever monitor looks aesthetically pleasing to you, but I've heard good things about the ASUS monitor...

3. nutritious macrumors 6502

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

TN Panels? enlighten please.

And what makes that particular Dell better?

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'm not real clear on the tech points of this but here is what I know. TN and IPS are types of flat panel circuitry. TN is Twisted SomethingIcantPronounce and is an old standard. IPS is used on the Dell UltraSharp models and stands for In Panel Switching. It is a new protocol and better than TN. I think the expensive Apple screens are IPS as well. My Samsung is a P23 and I think it has a protocol that falls between the two. It is incredibly thin and bright.

Hope this helps.

Dale

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks Dale.... Hmm I don't know how much I should vale that. Why isn't the type of panels mentioned in the specs of the monitors? How would you know if it's TN or IPS

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi. I did a ton of research before I dropped cash on a monitor. Everyone on the forum liked the Ultrasharp Dells, but you can't go down to Best Buy and look at them. I was all over the net with Google, and read the Tech Spec panels on the websites. IPS was listed as a panel type on most high end screens. Middle of the road screens were either TN or not listed. IPS seems to be a selling point.

Dale

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man