Opinions on possibility of MBA retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by appleisking, Jun 13, 2013.

1. appleisking macrumors 6502a

If they are planning on doing away with the classic macbook pro and replacing them completely with the retina then that leaves the MBA as the other spectrum of the consumer market. That being said, would it be cost feasible for Apple to want to put a retina on such a device that caters to the average user? They may upgrade the resolution to 1080p to match the pc competitors, but somehow I can't see them wanting the Air to sport the pro-style resolution because it may steal sales from the pro. What do you guys think 2014 will bring?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not retina, in all honesty. Basically they already have a rMBA, and it is the rMBP. The power needed to drive the display needs a larger battery and a thicker body, hence the little thicker and heavier the rMBP is.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Unless there's a real advance in battery technology an Air with a Retina display will be almost the size of a Pro. And display prices would have to come down for a retina display to be cost feasible in an Air. Also, Retina is one of the major things that separates the Air from the Pro.

I doubt well see a Retina screen on an Air anytime soon. Hopefully we'll see 1080P on the 13".

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many posts in some of those threads were made after the new Air was released.

5. r6mile macrumors 6502

These people that demand an rMBA, I ask - what would be the point? It is the main difference between the MBA and the rMBP (soon to become the only MBP). The lines between the two are already quite blurred.

The vast majority of users (the 99% that do not browse MacRumors) do not need a Retina screen, and would rather have a cheaper laptop with great battery life. That is why the Macbook Air is Apple's "everyday notebook". For the rest of users, there's the Pro, but leave the Air be!

6. appleisking thread starter macrumors 6502a

So why is it such a big deal to have a whole thread of collective post wwdc thoughts as opposed to a few scattered posts on the last page on like 2 of those threads

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say it was a big deal, or that it was a problem. I simply pointed out that there are existing threads where this is being discussed, even post-WWDC, for those who may have missed those threads in their forum search. If you want to start another redundant thread on the same topic, do whatever floats your boat.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Now that Apple has dropped pricing yet again on the Airs I don't think we will see them simply get retina displays at those same prices anytime soon.

What we might see are separate retina Air models at higher price points.

A 13" retina Air with the same 28W Haswell chip (with Iris graphics) as is in the Zenbook Infinity could effectively replace the 13" rMBP, or allow the 13" rMBP to move up in performance (quad core) and further from entry level.