Opinions on Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoozx, Jan 22, 2008.

1. zoozx macrumors 6502

zoozx

For my new Mac Pro Mac Pro 8-core Two 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2GB Ram 320GB 16x SuperDrive HD2600

I was going to swap out the 320GB HD for the eagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

for speed and space in Photoshop.

Any opinions or better options?

thks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The importance of drive cache is discussed here if you're interested.

I don't see that much of a performance gain from cache alone.

3. Toups macrumors regular

I tend to perfer the Samsung drives due to lower sound levels and great performance and MTBF. They can be had for withing a few bucks of the others, and if you use www.pricewatch.com you can find them on sale sometimes :)

4. babboxy macrumors member

Barracuda

I've bought 2 of the 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200

would it be any good to swop one of these with the 320GB drive that comes (tomorrow!!!) with my mac pro? I thought I would use both for data ... and the 320 for OSX and applications.. no good??! thanks for advice

5. LostSunrise macrumors member

If you read enough posts..

This board has been quite a buzz lately and many are leaning towards leaving Apps and OS on one smaller fast drive and then working off a larger drive. This creates a lot of benefits both in your everyday work and for maintenance an convienence down the road. Look around the forum there are a few threads related to it.