Opinions on *this* external monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcmul, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mcmul, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

mcmul macrumors 6502

I use three machines on a daily basis:
    1. Windows laptop: various VM environments, documentation, scripting, office stuff.
    2. 13" Retina MacBook Pro: documentation, scripting, coding/development (inc. iOS/Xcode), personal tasks and "play".
    3. MicroServer: file server, "central repository" for everything (inc. iTunes).
    I would like opinions on this external monitor for the tasks in bold above: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24...d=1410696626&sr=1-2&keywords=external+monitor. Specifically regarding the Xcode and iOS dev. I use the rMBP on "best for retina" and don't fancy upping the resolution so require the external monitor as the "main" Xcode window and simulator. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated; along with any recommendations.

I have concerns about the screen size (do you think larger?) and resolution (1920 x 1080 - perfect for the "Windows laptop" tasks but the rMBP?).

EDIT: These looks good too: 1 and 2.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I followed your first link and $400 plus $100 shipping is nowhere near as good a price as $314 plus free shipping for a newer model here.

I will follow your other 2 links and comment if time allows. I use a 23 in 1080p monitor with my 15 in mbp and I'm quite happy with it. Edit: both other monitors look good as well. Basically all you really require is a 23" or larger high quality 1080p monitor. I'm getting by with a model that only cost $150 a couple of years ago and it's working fine.

3. theluggage macrumors 68040

I have the Dell U2412M, and would recommend it.

I appreciate the extra resolution (1920x1200) and 16:10 c.f. cheaper 1080p monitors as it gives useful extra vertical space (my benchmark is fitting an A4 page, actual size, in a window with a toolbar).

Its also got separate DisplayPort, DVI-D and VGA inputs - and you can set any two of those up as quick-select so its only 2 button presses to switch. I hook up my MBP via a cheap StarTech Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable and use the DVI input for the old Mac Pro that I use as a server.

Only downside is that the USB hub is USB2 only - but if you only want to use it for mouse and keyboard that's not a big deal.

Of course, a 27" 2560x1440 display is even nicer if you don't mind paying extra... (3rd Party of course - the Apple Thunderbolt display is useless to you if you want to use it with PCs).

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

^^^^^ I think dell makes the worst pos laptops ever, flimsy fall apart junk, but when it comes to monitors they are hard to beat. Some comparable to apple but better priced.

5. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replying! I'm buying the Dell Ultrasharp U2414H. It looks great and has very good reviews :cool:

6. lumencreative macrumors regular

I know you've already made a decision but I would echo that the Dell models are fab. I have 2 x Dell U2312HM monitors and they're great. Hoping to upgrade to the U2414's soon.

I have looked at bigger monitors, namely 27" models but all of the budget ones have a 1920 x 1080 resolution which is pants on a screen of that size. To get a 27"+ with a decent resoltion, you're paying the same price as 2 x U2414's.

----------

I also have two of these in my studio but the Dells are much better IMO.