Opinions Wanted: Haswell 13" rMBP vs Mid-2012 15"rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tgi, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Let me start by stating that a lot of this will be based off of speculation. This is not a "which Mac is better/right for my needs" thread.

At first I was mainly waiting for the 13" rMBP to get refreshed with the Haswell processors before purchasing a MacBook. I decided that the 13" would be best solely based on my budget and I liked the form factor. But I began to realize that I might be better off purchasing a refurbished 15" rMBP from Apple for $1599.

That is only $100 more than the current base 13" rMBP and comes with twice as much flash storage and a dGPU.

Assuming the refreshed base Haswell 13" rMBP is priced at $1,499, would I still be better of getting last years 15" despite the upgrades the Haswells will have?

Wants: Retina MacBook, decent graphics capabilities (not against iGPUs such as HD5000 or HD5200, priced around $1,500.

Not a Dealbreaker: Size/weight of laptop, battery life.

2. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I really think you should wait until haswell MBP comes out before making conjectures like this. I am struggling with a similar decision, only air vs MBP, and I'm waiting.

3. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

I agree 100%. I guess I'm just getting impatient. With what I wrote, do you think picking up the 15" rMBP at this point in time would be a bad move?

Also, what decision are you currently debating with?

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Personally....I went with the 15" refurb. I like the extra screen real estate and having the QC processor and dedicated GPU RAM for, like you said, marginally more than a new 13" made the decision fairly easy for me.

If you're set on the 13" though.....I'd definitely wait.

5. iFusionApple macrumors member

I'm more or less on the same boat.

I'm interested in buying 15" rMBP 2012.

Does anyone know how much better the new model will be? GPU, Processors, battery life?

I'm not really considering the 13" model because i think the iGPU can't really handle my things that I want to do...

6. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

I guess the deciding factor would be how much you are willing to spend. If you can make due with the 2012 15" rMBP, you could buy a refurbished now and save a lot. If you don't mind paying $2,199 for a base 15" when the new one is released, I would definitely wait. But that's also assuming the refresh will be priced the same as the current.

----------

That's awesome. I'm definitely not set on a 13". I was, but not so much now. When did you purchase your refurb?

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Last week.