Opinions wanted on the Iomega StorCenter™ ix2-200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ginopiazza49, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ginopiazza49 macrumors member

I would appreciate your opinions on the Iomega StorCenter™ ix2-200. I would most likely get the 2TB or the 4TB version. I will be using it with my Mac mini (2009). Is the Iomega StorCenter™ ix2-200 a good way to go as, say, opposed to Seagate FreeAgent for Mac or a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

RE:
    "I would appreciate your opinions on the Iomega StorCenter™ ix2-200. I would most likely get the 2TB or the 4TB version. I will be using it with my Mac mini (2009). Is the Iomega StorCenter™ ix2-200 a good way to go as, say, opposed to Seagate FreeAgent for Mac or a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II?"

My suggestion:

Don't buy ANY of them.

Instead, look for a deal on a "bare" Seagate SATA drive.

Then, get yourself one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    Use it to back up the internal drive, and when you're done, just put the bare drive safely away in a drawer.

This way, you have "freed yourself" from an individual drive locked into an individual case. Need more storage room, or the safety of a _second_ backup? Just get another bare drive.

- John