Opinions: Would the administration contrive a national emergency..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Jul 22, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

...to keep themselves in power?

I keep noticing soft signs, that suggest the current administration does not look, or act, like a group that is going anywhere soon. GW has recently enacted law which gives him authority to assume dictatorial power, when faced with a national emergency.

What is surprising about this new law is that congress was not involved in developing it, or implementing it. Furthermore, the president already had most of the crucial powers required to protect America in cases of a national emergency. Some of the alarming new powers:

1) The president alone is able to decide what is a national disaster.
    2) The president does NOT have to have any concurrence with the Supreme Court, or Congress. He now only needs to consult with the head of Homeland Security - a member of his staff.
    3) The national disaster can happen anywhere in the world. It only has to impact American interests.
    4) The president can suspend any, or all, workings of federal, state, local and tribal governments.
    5) The president has the authority to control all US business and commerce.
    6) All state national guards, police forces (including tribal) come under his control.
    7) The president alone decides when the national emergency is over.

The WH has the power to suspend the elections. The question is WOULD they do it? In my opinion, these people are drunk with power. They have killed over 3500 American kids already, just to promote an agenda they had before ever taking office. 9/11 have them the excuse. They lied through their teeth making a case for war. They have failed every test which might show they had any sense of honesty, or decency. They thumb their nose at the law.

I believe there is a very good chance they will attempt to remain in power. Iran makes me very nervous. They are once the WH making a case for war. We cannot wait for GW's term to expire. We need impeachment now.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Would they contrive an emergency to keep themselves in power? With anybody else, I'd be suggesting you stop wearing your tin foil hat. But with these guys, anything is possible.

Yes, I think they might do something like that. Moreover, I think we'd all see through something like that -- even people on Bush's own team don't believe him anymore.

But the $64,000 question is: would anybody do anything about it? I've asked this here before: given a transparent takeover attempt of the United States by Bush, could we count on our military men (such as the Joint Chiefs) to defend us from Bush, or to blindly keep on taking orders from him?

3. dylan macrumors 6502

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Did you write your congressman with this one? I'm not sure he'd write you back and tell you that your letter is worth 1000 opinions over this.

There is a better chance Rosie O'Donnel will make a speech at the next GOP convention than the events youre describing happening.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I can't see this happening. Bush would see his conservative base evaporate, the American people would never stand for this.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Suspending the elections would be suicide to an already falling apart Republican Party.

However, if Bush can getaway with whats going in Iraq for this long, then its scary what he could really accomplish.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Never say never.

While the idea sounds paranoid, I don't think it's outside the realm of reality. We've heard that Cheney is supposedly pushing to invade Iran.

What if bushco were to wait until say, September 08 and then make his move, especially if the polls are showing that the Dems are going to control the WH and Congress.

Would the US agree to a "temporary" suspension of the constitution? I don't know, there are simply too many variables but the simple fact that the prez has changed the rules singlehandedly is pretty worrying.

Remember, his god is his advisor and people who hear voices simply arent' to be trusted.

9. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Stop huffing paint and get back to reality. No one in this country is going to fake a disaster or start a war to stay in power.

FFS

10. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I wish I could agree with dsnort, but democracies don't fall with a single event; instead, they are whittled away, civil right by civil right. Many would say that the American people shouldn't stand for what Bush has thus far accomplished, most especially his assault on habeus corpus.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Really? Where did you find that out?

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If one reads the news...

Guardian

Emphasis mine.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thanks for link. ;) I don't read the Guardian uk, sorry.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think the administration is more interested in perpetual GOP power than suspending elections. however -- given high poll marks by whichever dem is nominated, i think anything's possible.

i was discussing Perpetual GOP Power with a friend last night, a sociology professor, and lately he's been studying minority relocation patterns in the US. basically, minorities and immigrants are moving from blue areas to red ones, and the trend indicates this will continue.

he then pointed out an interesting side-effect of this. these people will be counted when it comes time to assign electoral votes, BUT these are the same kinds of people who are disenfranchised come actual voting time. so the trend is to bump up electoral votes in red states, which will end up going towards GOP candidates.

i think it's clear that the GOP is disenfranchising democratic-leaning voters with this very thing in mind. it's just another way to keep the GOP in power.

sorry, no links, it's my friend's research-in-progress.

15. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Oh yes the Guardian, paragon of balanced coverage... you would get better news out of a fortune cookie.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Please, oh wise one, direct me to the one, the only, the paragon of balanced coverage. I shall be forever indebted to be guided by one who makes such pithy and useless comments...

17. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Here you go:
    Guardian hit pieces

Good example of the kind of bias of the guardian...

As for balanced news, I dont think any news source is perfectly objective, but you could do a LOT better. Try the Associated Press or something next time.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like how thatcher has the quote of the day there. and the blog entry about dem hypocrisy.

does it count to counter bias with something of greater bias?

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Wait. You really believe this don't you? You fellas never cease to amaze me...

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I can't believe that I wasted the time to read your link. He's so anti anything not American, it's not even funny. His blog is just one continuous tirade against anything he doesn't agree with. It has everything to do with disinformation and propaganda.

Julian Borger, the author of the piece in the Guardian has always been a little over the top. Anyone who reads the paper on a regular basis would know that. Your blogger is incapable of recognizing British journalism for what it is.

In the months following bushco's invasion of Iraq, the Guardian was the only newspaper I could get even a glimmer of reality from regarding Iraq. I still read it because it has never backed down from taking a critical look at the unreality that exists in American and British government regarding Iraq.

It has never once resorted to propaganda, unlike the vast majority of cowed American newspapers. I look forward to the day when the American press does the same thing.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

do you think it's been discussed/gamed in the WH?

22. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Wait. You really believe this is not this is possible? You are living up to all of my expectations. Your chauvinistic blind loyalty to Bush is the result of going through life with your blinders on. I understand that the truth will shatter your delusional view of the country we now live in. However, the truth will set you free.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I wouldn't have believed it before, but who knows anymore.

24. Queso macrumors G4

I don't think this lot would, but unless those powers are dispersed back someone will likely attempt this in the future.

Politicians are very good at living down to your worst fears about them.

25. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Well, they already contrived the war in Iraq, didn't they? :(

Seriously though, I doubt Bush and friends would go this far. Even if he tried it, I don't think he would get away with it. At least, I hope not.