opkkk why no coverage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Nov 21, 2014.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I am sure some of you have already been following the Anonymous vs. KKK events in the last week or so. I interested in why major news outlets have flat our ignored it?

Why is this?

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I have no idea.:eek:

But I bet you are going to tell us, and some how it'll relate to the 2nd Amendment.:p

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because they'd give two groups they dislike the oxygen of publicity.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

perhaps because trivial pranks between fringe groups have little news value?

They didn't cover the last night's unusual rush hour traffic jam on my street either and that's way more important! :p

5. lostngone, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

On CNNs main page now are things like "Flip phones are hip again", "Quidditch is real, and wants to go pro" and "Russell Brand charms CNN hosts"

So... CNN already is covering things of little news value. I also wouldn't call making threats to kill protesters and publicizing (alleged)Klan members names, faces and addresses as "trivial pranks". This isn't something people normally do.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Karma is a ....;)

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Your first mistake was going to CNN.com and looking for news....

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Almost everything that happens doesn't make the news.

Sounds like you're outraged though......is it because Anonymous are threatening Klan members? Or because Klan members are threatening Anonymous?

10. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I am SHOCKED! Really, are you sure about that?

If CNN can talk about new hair styles coming in 2015 or what size the new M&M is going to be under "Top Stories". Why is it so far fetched that they might cover this topic...

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Most of the stories that happened in the world don't make it on CNN.

Why are you concerned with that one and not the thousands of others that occur every day?

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

And wherever you go, there you are.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

14. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I love how people reply with witty quips but offer nothing to the conversation...

Alright smart-guy. Where do you get your world news from? They don't carry Al Jazeera or RT in my area and BBC America isn't much better then CNN(in my opinion). Don't even get me started with the "Fair and Balanced" news network. So what else is there?

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

There's always MSNBC :D

16. zin macrumors 6502

Read the news, don't watch it. I think it's much harder to influence your views if they can't show you lots dramatic pictures, videos, and "Breaking News" segments. At least if you read most of your news from different sources you can make up your own mind on things.

Al Jazeera and RT both have websites, and although CNN on the TV isn't a very good news source, the CNN website isn't that bad.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Snark aside, CNN has decent coverage on their website right now about a number of issues.

Not to sound snarky, but you could always read an article from the newspaper or site rather than absorbing your news through television. CNN can be pretty good for large-scope stories, but Anonymous vs. KKK just isn't good television.

Increasingly, the web has better work and coverage on issues. For example, Politico, theVerge.com, and even BuzzFeed are doing great work and surpassing the legacy agencies.

18. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Yes, but most things on CNN, FOXnew and MSnbc websites are just recycled content from what they show on TV. So it Cable News network X reporting is bad on the TV what makes you think their website is going to be any better?

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

cnn, fox, and msnbc are the all the same: garbage (my opinion). I get my news from NPR (radio+online) and the new york times. some people call the new york times too liberal. i can sort of see that, but those same people tell me I should read the wall street journal. unfortunately, the WSJ writing style is too inferior compared to NYT, hence i stick with the latter.

20. zin macrumors 6502

No television hosts screaming at your face. No big graphics dramatising everything. The stories on the website aren't transcripts of what they say on air. They don't have time to cover the details of every story on air, so the website gives more information.

Also I am sure for all but the very big breaking stories that they originate on the website. I get push notifications to my phone about events before they are covered on air.

I've also found the CNN International website to be better than the ordinary U.S. edition, mostly because the "Headline" titles aren't overdramatised.