Optibay? SSD+HDD Combo or 7200rpm Drive in 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eaf7s, Feb 25, 2011.

1. eaf7s macrumors regular

So I ordered my 13" i7 with no upgrades last night. I plan to upgrade to 8gb RAM aftermarket.
    I've been looking into an affordable way to make my system fast as hell for my music recording--I run Logic Pro and often multitrack record and the finished products are typically anywhere from 10-20 tracks. Will also have a sweet external monitor setup so it's not so crammed.
    I am torn between replacing the HDD with a 7200rpm drive OR moving the current 500gb @5400 into the ODD slot and putting a 64gb SSD in the current HDD position.

Obviously the former option is cheaper, and I certainly don't have unlimited money (student) but I have two main questions:

Will it be worth it to have the SSD option & is Optibay a good way to go about it, or are they overpriced? Still unsure what I'd do but I suppose I'd just order the component and install the drive myself. And I think they're still offering a free enclosure for your ODD but I have an external one anyway.

and

How badly could I mess up my warranty? Is it just a case of if it needs servicing, returning everything to its original position? I know just changing RAM & HDD won't "technically" void it but I'm fairly certain that removing the ODD will.

Thoughts?

2. nc26 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd like to know this too, and is it even possible in the MBP? I know it works on iMacs

3. danetello macrumors 6502

I would probably go with the SSD, it will be a lot faster than the 7200RMP HD. The optibay isn't too hard to install if you use a guide on the internet. I managed to do everything on my macbook in about 40 minutes. Just make sure you but the correct size screwdrivers so you don't brake the screws like I did :rolleyes:. I suggest you dont buy an MCE optibay but a different company, I got mine for about $20 on ebay. Also I think you should put the SSD in the optibay and the hard drive in the original bay, since SSD is more durable and will not need the shock protection that comes with Macbooks.

4. colmiak macrumors newbie

this. i got my optibay off ebay as well (30$ >;( )

just make sure you don't strip the screws. i was lazy and didn't feel like getting the right tools and stripped mine.

if you do yours correctly, it should be fairly easy to put everything back in place so it looks like you never messed with it (for warranty purposes).

My original vertex boots my mid-2010 mbp 13 in ~15 seconds. everything opens in less than 1 second (one bounce!) except for photoshop which takes about 2 seconds ;p

i can only envy an i7 plus one of the newer ssd's that use a ridiculously fast sandforce controller.. alas, i will console myself for now by telling myself i dont need that kind of power for anything i do and i do have 3 hours more of battery life...

anyway, get an ssd+optibay! you won't regret it, i promise :)

5. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. So all in the upgrades will just cost me the price of the SSD, the bay, and the RAM upgrade--should only be a few hundred. Schwing. I'll wait until I'm back in the States for Easter though--everything's half the damn price lol.