Optical Zoom iPhone in Near Future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Apr 21, 2013.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Apple and every mobile company out there know now that camera quality is important with everyone using their phones to taking photos.

More megapixel, bigger lens, better low light situations are granted in the improvement of the cameras from these mobile devices but zooming has been a problem.

Digital zoom, in my case, is never used because of it's reduction of quality.

So this begs the question if we may see an optical zooming camera from the iPhone within 5 years?

2. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

why? just have a 50mp camera thats 25mp at full zoom, much easier for apple to do it with electronics than physical camera lenses

p.s. if you want quality use a dslr

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

4. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Zoom lens on any cell phone>Means a larger phone. NO WAY ;)

Attached Files:

5. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

7. Radiating macrumors 65816

Just an FYI I review professional cameras and am well versed in technical theory. The iPhone 5 is LENS limited in resolution, so even if you put a 50 megapixel sensor on it you could not gain any additional quality over the current digital zoom. Phones will be lens limited unless there is a major leap in tech.

As for optical zoom it's not happening. The iphone has a fixed aperture even due to space limitations. Zoom takes up a ton of room especially because you have to change the focal length meaning literally you need a longer lens (in most cases except for certain lens designs, this isn't an exception) so it's unavoidable to increase the size of the camera if you want zoom.

So no there will not be an optical zoom, it's not happening. The best bet is a revolution in lens manufacturing quality and digital zoom as that won't significantly change the thickness but that could be 5-10 years off.

8. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this true, but I once read somewhere that you can actually achieve optical zoom even in a very limited space using some sort of fluid which have a stronger effect than lenses.

Can anybody comment on this?

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

like this one ? http://www.google.com/patents/US7142369

Still very limited space in the phone ... I think I keep my Canon and the lens zoo a bit longer ;)

10. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Exactly, Samsung's got a few patents for such lenses too, I think. And of course a conventional lense will probably always be superior to such alternatives, just like desktop workstations will likely never be replaced by handsets, at least for
    professional work.

11. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Companies are finally starting to realize more megapixels is not necessarily a good thing. The added noise and the slower processing times does not make for a good experience. I give HTC credit with finally going to a sensor with less megapixels that produces much better pictures in low light. I hope Apple is working on something similar. 99% of people are not blowing their pictures up to 8x10. What people really want is a sensor that can take quality pictures on almost all conditions.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yes, but street Joe, he only knows to buy "by the number." 12 mpp Samsung vs 8 mpp iPhone, Samsung must be better!

Yeah, human have flexible focus-able corneas, why limit ourselves to rigid lenses?

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That use to be the case. But now you are seeing companies advertise the features of their phone above the megapixel count. Things like being able to take pictures in low-light is a huge feature. I think the days of phone companies making a big deal out of pixel count are coming to a end.