Option to turn off phone while using GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmy James, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I typically use the GPS with offline maps while in & out of service range. I keep getting pop ups telling me I've lost service, which I have to acknowledge. Is there any way to prevent this?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Ur navigation app, apparently is not completely off-line.

Try manually turning off cellular data.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Jimmy James thread starter macrumors 68040

The phone gives me this message even if I'm not using GPS. It's the phone, not the app.

----------

I'm using motionx for back country adventures, not road use.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not the phone, its the particular app that gives you those notifications.
    Remove it and try using another one. You will not get any lost service pop ups.

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

To answer the question in your thread title, there is no way to use the GPS receiver without having the phone radio on as well. Of course, those pop-ups are a nuisance, but a bigger issue is the use of battery as your phone searches for a signal. That's probably the biggest power hog of anything your phone does.

I have MotionX GPS, too, and would love to be able to turn off the phone while leaving GPS on.

If you've got $150 burning a hole in your pocket, you could get the Bad Elf Pro GPS unit, and have GPS on your phone via Bluetooth while in airplane mode.