Options for a late 2011 15” MBP w GPU failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MisterSensitive, Jan 21, 2018.

1. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

wonderfully reliable MBP bit the pooch. I loved this model for its port options (FireWire AND Thunderbolt), its user expandability (16g RAM and TB SSD) and it’s overall vibe.

I’ve tried reseating RAM and Battery, reinitializing SCM and other systems. Nada.

I can’t find any new logic boards. Scared to go used or even refurb. Too broke to buy a new MBP. I have an appointment next week at Apple Store, but I’m becoming afraid I have few options.

Any other things I should pursue? Any hope Apple store can save me?

May have to go Wintel.

2. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I think about what I would do when my little project bites the dust. I am in a position to buy a new one when this happens, but I honestly think I would try to find another 2011 MBP that hasn't been upgraded. Maybe with 4GB memory and a spinner and a battery that needs to be replaced. In other words, a "deal". Then I would move all my stuff over.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Any other things I should pursue? Any hope Apple store can save me?"

I don't believe Apple Stores will service these any longer -- it's now an "obsolete" model.

Some 3rd-party repair outfits might swap the logic board, but it won't be cheap and the replaced board will be just as susceptible to failure as the old one.

Your options (as I see them):
    - Shop for a new or at least "newer" Mac
    - Shop for a PC replacement

That's really about all that makes sense.

My recommendation would be to go for either a new or Apple-refurbished "2015 design" 15" MacBook Pro. Apple still builds and sells these "as new units", but they're not easy to find at store.apple.com (go to the 15" MBPro page and click "buy", then scroll down).
    Actually, you might find a better-equipped one at the Apple Refurbished store...

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you can afford to, buy a used 15” 2012 cMBP. They’re very cheap. You’ll be able to throw your SSD straight into that. Same form factor but much quicker CPU and USB 3.

5. Audit13, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

These units are considered "legacy" or "vintage" by Apple.

When I brought my unit (late 2011 i7 15") to the Apple store in the summer of 2017, the tech ran the hardware diagnostics to confirm my suspicion: the gpu has failed. She was sympathetic but could not offer any solutions.

I took the unit and had the gpu replaced by a local tech and it's been working fine since the gpu replacement.

6. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

7. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, all!

So, only the 2012 model can have RAM and SSD swapped out and boots like a champ? All my sw is licensed, so I could reinstall from scratch if I had to.

And the GPU issues were fixed for the 2012 models?

Lastly was the “c” in cMBP a typo, or is that meaningful shorthand?

8. Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

cMBP is an acronym for a "classic Mabook Pro" or non-retina. Some user refer to the retina MBP as the rMBP.

9. kadify macrumors regular

Going through the exact same thing as you unfortunately. Computer was working fine a few hours ago then suddenly it went black and I lost all the work I was working on. Now I can't get it to boot past the grey screen to even attempt to disable the gpu. Hope you have better luck

10. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I'll repeat my advice that perhaps your best solution is to get a 2015-design MBP 15" model, either brand-new or Apple-refurbished.

Take the SSD -OUT OF- the dead 2011, and put it into an external 2.5" USB3 enclosure.
    Use it as a backup or for extra storage space.

11. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

And I'll repeat my advice that will save you some money which is a factor for you. Good luck!

12. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all for the wonderful input! This is very helpful!

Here's some updates: I was able to go into Apple Hardware Test (via Internet only). First tests yielded a RMEM error message. Ran it with different configurations of RAM (1 stick at a time, upper, then lower slot) with the same result. Put in some different RAM, got a Battery error. Put the old RAM back in and got the Battery error. The battery is an OWC replacement, which has worked fine for a while.

Should I trust these error messages? Or are they shooting in the dark?

The fact that the very opening screen has these horizontal lines makes me suspect the problem has nothing to do with RAM or the battery.

Thoughts?

13. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Time to start shopping for a replacement... (sigh)

14. Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

I am not sure how accurate the Apple hardware test would be at finding the exact problem but I am inclined to believe the failing GPU is causing errors in the test.

15. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Y'all!

It looks like I'll be replacing "Part 1A"

16. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: Miracle Cure.

I had enrolled my MBP in DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan. The level I have covers any device that I watch (or can watch) DirecTV on, excluding phones. I put in a claim, sent it off to them. They sent it back with a logic board replacement and it's working like a champ again. I worry a little about the new (to me) logic board, but if it fails, they'll fix it again.

The best part of this is that if I had gotten a new MBP, it would have been dongle city with all my peripherals, so now I'm back in bidness, I get to keep my 1TB SSD, no dongles and now I can justify a new toy!!!