Options for a second monitor with my MBA

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by questionwonder, Jun 4, 2014.

1. questionwonder, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

questionwonder macrumors member

I just bought a Samsung 23" monitor that supports 1920x1080 and uses a dvi to vga cable I has plugged into my only thunderbolt/dvi output. I would ilke to get a second monitor that has a higher resolution. What are my options here for using a second monitor? I know I can daisy chain the Thunderbolt display but a cheaper option would be nice. Is that possible? How would I plug them in being that I already have used the 1 output I have? I don't think I want to use USB because it is slow. I'm only developing so no need for speed but I don't want any lag when moving the mouse, etc.
    My MBA is the latest gen. What are people out there doing for a two monitor output?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Your only option is a Thunderbolt Display or USB. There's no way to connect a 2nd display other than a TBD to the Thunderbolt port, and USB is the only other option.

3. questionwonder thread starter macrumors member

What are the good Thunderbolt displays

Are there any cheap thunderbolt displays out there besides the Apple version?

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Do you want two external screens plus the built-in? If so, I think you would need two thunderbolt monitors. You cannot plug a regular screen into the thunderbolt monitor.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#20

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not exactly true. You can't plug an adapter directly into a TBD - but if there is an intermediate Thunderbolt device between the TBD and the adapter (e.g. a Thunderbolt disk), it will work.

----------

No. The only other Thunderbolt display that comes to mind besides Apple's is the LG 34UM95, which looks like a nice product but it's also $1000 and is not shipping yet in any significant quantity.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Really? That's interesting, have never heard of this before, thanks.