Options on replacing my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alvinoolivas, Jul 30, 2012.

1. alvinoolivas macrumors newbie

I have the iPhone 4 and it's been almost 2 yrs. it's defective now. Battery dies quick, no service, doesn't show calls at times etc... AT&T troubleshoot says hardware and so does apple. My deilema is new iPhone supposed to come out. So what are my options on replacing this one for now without renewing my contract so I can use my upgrade on new phone? Any ideas on prices with the options?

2. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Galaxy nexus from the play store. Best deal your gonna get without using your upgrade.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You can check out on ebay or CL and find a cheap iphone to use for the meantime and when the new iphone comes out, sell it and buy yourself a new one.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get a replacement iphone 4 from Apple for $150.
    Turn in your old defective iphone and they will do an out of warranty exchange. No contract renewing or anything.

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Check with family members and friends to see if anyone has an ATT phone they are not using... Craigslist is great too.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you do not need a smart phone, you can get lots of the basic ones for $10-$30 bucks. No contract.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. Unless you have tampered w/ the inside, then they will turn you away.

8. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Does this have to be done at an Apple store or could one call Apple and have it done by mail? The reason I ask is that the nearest Apple store to me is 3 hours away in Jacksonville.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

would have to be done in store b.c they verify you have not tampered w/ anything internally. If they take it to the back and see you have messed with the insides, you have voided the right to get an OOW replacement.....sounds weird, but that is what they do. Some people may get lucky and still get one, but I personally have had what I described happen to me. Got a phone on Craigslist that was scratched and was fully prepared to pay $199 for a new iphone 4S out of warranty, but b.c the previous owner messed with parts inside they denied me :(...had to go the route of replacing the screen myself, which was cheaper than $199, but not easier.

10. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I can see why they do that, cuz if I would trying to MOD my phone and I messed up. I would break it and try to use this Replacement program to my advantage.

I have had two experiences with broken iPhones:

iPhone 3G - I dropped it walking to a party, ended up convincing Apple to sell me a new one at the upgrade price (Long story). Sold the cracked one on eBay for $450

iPhone 4 - An Apple employee knocked it out of my hand while I was looking at Mac Accessories. It cracked the crap out of the glass. There were many apologies and I got a brand new phone within minutes. This was 3 months or so before the iPhone 4S was released.

ADD: I was happy to see have quickly they owned up to what happened and fixed the problem

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I remember you telling that story in another thread. Were you at the apple store to try and get a new phone b.c of an issue, but were outside of warranty? You just got "lucky" and he broke it haha.

12. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

The iPhone 4? No, my girlfriend was in Ann Taylor, which is right next door to the Apple Store at one of the local malls. So I was just killing time.

I did want a white iPhone. I almost asked them to switch me to white, but I did not want them to think I dropped it on purpose because that was not the case. I am sure the look on my face was evidence enough that I did not do it on purpose, I was about to EXPLODE... but the first words out of his mouth was that he will get me a new phone to replace it.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

oh...maybe the same thing happened to someone else then =/

14. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This is your best option. You'll get a shiny replacement with a 90 day warrantee attached and be ready to upgrade if a new version is announced down the road.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can do by mail also by calling applecare or you can also do it online.
    https://expresslane.apple.com/Issues.action

That's false.
    You dont have to do it at the apple store.
    It can be done through the mail.
    They still inspect it but since you're paying the out of warranty price for a replacement it doesnt matter if you opened it or not.
    If they were doing it for free and was under warranty then they can deny you.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

read my previous post. I have personally had them turn me away b.c the inside was tampered with. They do not have to offer you an out of warranty replacement, and make you buy a new phone b.c you potentially messed it up. I guess you could do it through the mail then, but if it was tampered with they would just send it back with the reason I said....unless you get lucky. oh, and when they turned me away it was still within the 1 year warranty, but I assumed it would automatically fall to the out of warranty replacement cost since it was messed with internally. They told me exactly what I am telling you. Out of warranty replacements cannot be used on devices that have been tampered with unless done so by an authorized retail repair shop.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I brought in iphones that were opened, falling apart seperated in 2 pieces, soaked in the washer.
    They didnt even check anything, they just charged me the out of warranty fee.
    Maybe you had a tough Apple rep but most dont go through that hassle since they can tell the iphone is messed up already.
    That's why they turned out away, cause you were within warranty and didnt want to give you another one for free. If you told them you were willing to pay the fee they would have swapped it for you.
    You can always try again, some reps are tough and by the book and others will go further to satisfy a customer.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yeah, I went there prepared to pay the out of warranty fee....I think I just got an ass :(

It ended up costing me less to replace the front and back panels though...$115 for the parts and labor at a local shop. ifixit was going to charge $129 just for the front panel =/

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not bad.
    Usually for just the screen or back panel its cheaper at a 3rd party than going to apple.